Dr. Dong Liu, Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Cullen College of Engineering, Department of Industrial DepartmentFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Micro/nanoscale thermal transport
- Boiling heat transfer enhancement
- Convective heat transfer
- Liu, D., and Garimella, S. V., Thermal Transport in Microchannels: Single-Phase and Two-Phase Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer, ISBN: 3639117034, VDM Verlag, 2009.
- Liu, D., and Garimella, S. V., “Electromechanical Actuation of Nanofluids”, in Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Characterization and Applications, Ramesh S. Chaughule (ed.), American Scientific Publishers, 2009.
- Liu, D., and Garimella, S. V., “Cooling Techniques for Electronic Devices”, in Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems (EOLSS), EOLSS Publishers, in review
- Sur, A., Lu, Y., Pascente, C., Ruchhoeft, P., and Liu, D., Enhancing critical heat flux with electrowetting, Applied Physics Letters, to be submitted, 2017.
- Sur, A., Lu, Y., Pascente, C., Ruchhoeft, P., and Liu, D., Nucleate boiling heat transfer enhancement with electrowetting, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, submitted, 2017.
- Yi, L., Bao, J. M., and Liu, D., Dynamics of a Leidenfrost droplet modulated by electrowetting, Journal of Heat Transfer, accepted, 2017.
- Wang, H. X., Liu, D., and Liu, L.P., Equilibrium shapes of a heterogeneous bubble in an electric field: a variational formulation and numerical verifications, Proceedings of Royal Society A, in press, 2017.
- Wang, Y., Tang, Y. J., Cheng, P. H., Zhou, X. F., Zhu, Z., Liu, Z. P., Liu, D., Wang, Z. M., and Bao, J. M., Interaction of light with liquid suspensions of 2D nanomaterials: Nonlinear optics, thermal lens effect and flow-induced alignment, Nanoscale, in press (DOI: 10.1039/C6NR08487G), 2017.
- Lu, Y., Sur, A., Pascente, C., Annapragada, S., Ruchhoeft, P., and Liu, D., Dynamics of droplet motion induced by electrowetting, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 106(3): 920- 931, 2017.
- Ebrahimi, B., He, G. L., Tang, Y. J., Franchek, M., and Liu, D., Characterization of high-pressure cavitating flow through a thick orifice plate, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, 114(4): 229-240, 2017.
More publications on CV below.
- Liu, D., and Cao, Q. L., Magnetic Directed Alignment of Stem Cell Scaffolds for Neuron Regeneration, UHOU.P005US.P1
- Liu, D., and Garimella, S. V., Microfluidic Pumping based on Dielectrophoresis, U.S. patent No. 20130075259
Grants and Funded Research
- Project: Erosion Modeling of Rubber in Blowout Preventers Role: Co-PI (PI: M. Franchek) Source: National Oilwell Varco Amount: $436,766, 2015-2017
- Project: Creating Tunable Adaptive Boiling Heat Transfer Surfaces with Electrowetting Role: PI (Co-PI: P. Ruchhoeft) Source: CBET, National Science Foundation (NSF) Amount: $299,997, 2012-2016
- Project: Magnetic Directed Alignment of Injectable Neural Stem Cell Scaffold for Regeneration after Spinal Cord Injury Role: PI (Co-PIs: Q. L. Cao and L. Sun) Source: CBET, National Science Foundation (NSF) Amount: $390,000 (UH share: $263,301), 2011-2015
- Project: Magnetic Self-Assembly of Linear Chain Lattices of Neural Stem Cells Labeled with Magnetic Cationic Liposome for in vivo Spinal Cord Nerve Regeneration without Using Scaffold Role: PI (Co-PIs: Q. L. Cao and L. Sun) Source: U. S. Army Medical Research and Material Command's Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Program (TATRC) through Methodist Hospital Research Institute Amount: $150,000 (UH share: $119,998), 2011-2013
- Project: Study of Colloidal Electrohydrodynamics for Dielectrophoresis-Directed Fluidic Assembly of Nanostructures Role: PI. Source: CMMI, National Science Foundation (NSF) Amount: $175,000, 2009-2012.
- Project: Design and Develop Magnetic Nanostructures for Multiplexing MRI Diagnostics Role: Co-PI (PI: L. Sun) Source: Alliance for Nanohealth (ANH) Amount: $120,000 (UH share: $100,000), 2009-2012.
- Project: Electromechanical transport of nanofluids: microfluidic pumping and heat transfer enhancement Role: PI (Co-PI: S. Garimella) Source: NSF Cooling Technologies Research Center (CTRC) Amount: $80,000 (UH share: $80,000), 2008-2009.
- Project: Magnetically-Assisted Fabrication of Thin Film Nanocomposites with Tunable Thermal Conductivity as Thermal Interface Materials Role: PI (Co-PI: L. Sun) Source: Texas Center for Superconductor at University of Houston (TcSUH) Amount: $20,000, 2008-2009.
- Project: Flow Boiling and Two-Phase Flow of Surfactant Solutions in microchannel Heat Sinks: Heat Transfer Enhancement and Drag Reduction Role: PI. Source: New Faculty Award Amount: $6,000, UH, 2007-2008
- Project: Dielectrophoresis-based Microfluidic pumping and Heat Transfer Enhancement Role: PI. Source: Small Grant Amount: $6,000, UH, 2007-2009