Dr. Praveen Kumar, Cullen Distinguished Chaired Professor of Finance, Chairperson of the Department of Finance, Executive Director of the Gutierrez Energy Management Institute
Bauer School of Business, Department of Finance
Areas of expertise
- Corporate Finance
- Real Options
- Industrial Organization
- Contract Theory
- Editor-in-Chief, Corporate Governance: An International Review, January 2013
- University of Houston System Research and Scholarship Excellence Award, 2010.
- University of Houston System Teaching Excellence Award, 2003.
- Track chair, Annual Meetings of the Financial Management Association, 2010.
- Chicago Board of Trade Award for the Best Paper on Options and Futures, Annual Meetings of the Western Finance Association, 1991.
- McGraw-Hill Best Paper in Finance Award, Annual Meetings of the Southwestern Finance Association, 2010.
- Chapa-O’Quinn Lectures on International Corporate Governance, Monterey Institute, Mexico (ITESM) and the UH Law Cente, 2002.
- Teaching Award for “Excellence in Classroom,” GSIA, Carnegie-Mellon University, 1987.
- Runners-up for the Merton Miller Award for the Best Paper in the Journal of Business, 1995.
- Nominee for the Smith-Kline Award for the Best Paper in the Journal of Finance, 1993.
- Bauer Fellow, C.T. Bauer College of Business, University of Houston, 2000-2003.
- Dewitt Clinton Poole Memorial Scholarship Prize, Princeton University, 1976.
- E. Dewitt Scholarship Prize, Princeton University, 1978.
- "The Product Market Effects of Hedge Fund Activism," (with H. Aslan), Journal of Financial Economics, 119, 226-248, 2016
- "Capital Investment, Innovative Capacity, and Stock Returns,'' (with D. Li), Journal of Finance, Forthcoming, 2015.
- "Boom and Gloom," (with P. Povel et al.), Journal of Finance, Forthcoming, 2015.
- "CEO entrenchment and Corporate Hedging: Evidence from the Oil and Gas Industry," (with R. Rabinovitch), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 48, 887-917, 2013.
- "Information Manipulation and Rational Investment Booms and Busts," (with N. Langberg), Journal of Monetary Economics, 60, 408-425, 2013.
- "Strategic Ownership Structure and the Cost of Debt," (with H. Aslan), Review of Financial Studies, 25, 2257-2299, 2012.
- "Voluntary Disclosures, Corporate Control, and Investment," (with N. Langberg and K. Sivaramakrishnan), Journal of Accounting Research, 50, 1041-1076, 2012.
- "Lemons or Cherries? Growth Opportunities and Market Temptations in Going Public and Private," (with H. Aslan), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 46, 489-526, 2011.
- "Managerial Agency and Bond Covenants," (with S. Chava and A. Warga), Review of Financial Studies, 23, 1120-1148, 2010.
- "Estimation Risk, Information, and the Conditional CAPM: Theory and Evidence," (with S. Sorescu, R. D. Boehme, and B. Danielsen), Review of Financial Studies, 2008 (Lead Article).
- "Corporate Fraud and Investment Distortions in Efficient Capital Markets," (with N. Langberg), Rand Journal of Economics, 2008.
- "Who Monitors the Monitor? The Effect of Board Independence on Executive Compensation and Firm Value," (with K. Sivaramakrishnan), Review of Financial Studies, 2008.
- "Optimal Patenting and Licensing of Financial Innovations, " (with S. Turnbull), Management Science, 2008.
- "Takeovers, Market Monitoring, and International Corporate Governance," (with L. Ramchand), December 2007, Rand Journal of Economics, 2008.
- "Agency Costs and Corporate Investment: The Role of Executive Compensation and Corporate Governance," (with S. Kang and H. Lee), Journal of Business, 2006.
- "Intertemporal Price-Quality Competition and the Coase Conjecture," Journal of Mathematical Economics, 2006.
- "Managerial Entrenchment and Payout Policy," (with A. Hu), Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 2004.
More publications available in CV below.
Grants and Funded Research
- NSF Grant, 1990-1992.
- Sloan Foundation Grant, 1995-1997.
- Faculty Development Grant, CMU, 1987-1989.
- Faculty Development Grant, CMU, 1992- 1994.
- CBA Summer Research Grant, University of Houston, 1998.