Dr. Hadi Ghasemi, Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cullen College of EngineeringFACULTY WEBSITE
Areas of expertise
- Classical, surface, and statistical thermodynamics
- Heat transfer
- Thermal engergy harvesting
AFOSR Young Investigator Award (YIP)(2016)
Teaching Excellence Award, UH (2016)
Departmental Citizenship Award, UH (2015)
Finalist for World Technology Award (2014)
NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2012)
- Leadership Award, University of Toronto (2011)
Russel Reynolds Award in Thermodynamics (2010)
- H. Kokabi and H. Ghasemi, “Ceramics Joining”, Sharif University of Technology Press, 2008.
- Nazanin Farokhnia, Peyman Irajizad, Seyed Mohammad Sajadi, and Hadi Ghasemi, “Rational micro-nanostructuring for thin film evaporation“, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 120 (16), 8742- 8750, 2016.
- Seyed Mohammad Sajadi*,Nazanin Farokhnia*, Peyman Irajizad, Munib Hasnain and Hadi Ghasemi,“Flexible artificially networked structure for ambient/high pressure solar steam generation“, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 4, 4700-4705, 2016.(* Equal Contributor)
- Peyman Irajizad, Nazanin Farokhnia, and Hadi Ghasemi, “Dispensing Nano-Pico Droplets of Ferrofluid“, Applied Physics Letters, 107, 191601, 2015.
- George Ni, Nenad Miljkovic, Hadi Ghasemi, Xiaopeng Huang, Svetlana V. Boriskina, ChengTe Lin, Jian Jian Wang, Yanfei Xu, Md. Mahfuzur Rahman, TieJun Zhang, Gang Chen. “ Volumetric solar heating of nanofluids for direct vapor generation“, Nano Energy, 17, 290-301, 2015.
- Mohammad Ayub, Alexander Mitsos, and Hadi Ghasemi, “Thermo-economic analysis of a hybrid solar-binary geothermal power plant“, Energy, 87, 326-335, 2015.
- Yuan Yang, Seok Woo Lee, Hadi Ghasemi, James Loomis, Xiaobo Li, Daniel Kraemer, Guangyuan Zheng, Yi Cui, and Gang Chen,“ A Charging-free Electrochemical System for Harvesting Low-grade Thermal Energy’, PNAS, 111 (48), 17011-17016, 2014.
- Yuan Yang, James Loomis, Hadi Ghasemi, Seok Woo Lee, Yi Jenny Wang, Yi Cui, and Gang Chen,“Membrane-Free Battery for Harvesting Low-Grade Thermal Energy”, Nano Letters, 14 (11), 6578-6583, 2014.
- Jame Loomis ∗ , Hadi Ghasemi∗ , Xiaopeng Huang, Jianjian Wang, Nagarajan Thoppey, Jonathan Tong, Yanfei Xu, Xiaobo Li, Cheng-Te Lin and Gang Chen, “Continuous fabrication platform for highly aligned polymer films“, Technology, 2(3), 2014. ∗ equal contributor.
- Hadi Ghasemi, George Ni, Amy Marie Marconnet, James Loomis, Selcuk Yerci, Nenad Miljkovic, and Gang Chen, “Solar steam generation by heat localization“, Nature Communications, 5:4449, 2014.
- Hadi Ghasemi, Elysia Sheu, Alessio Tizzanini, Marco Paci and Alexander Mitsos, “ Hybrid solargeothermal power generation: Optimal retrofitting“, Applied Energy, 131, pp. 158-170, 2014.
- Seok Woo Lee, Yuan Yang, Hyun-Wook Lee, Hadi Ghasemi, Daniel Kraemer, Gang Chen and Yi Cui, “ An electrochemical system for highly efficient harvesting of low-grade heat energy“, Nature Communications,5:3942, 2014.
For more publications, see CV below.
- Hadi Ghasemi, Peyman Irajizad, Munib Hasnain, “Magnetic Icephobic Surfaces“, United States Application, 62/313893.
- Hadi Ghasemi, Seyed Mohammad Sajadi, Nazanin Farokhnia, Peyman Irajizad, “Structures for Suppression of Leidenfrost Phenomenon“, United States Application: 62/308459.
- Gang Chen, Hadi Ghasemi, Xiaopeng Huang, James Loomis, Jonathan Tong, and Jianjian Wang “A continuous platform for fabrication of aligned polymer films”, United states 61/989588.
- Svetlana Boriskina, Kenneth McEnaney, Hadi Ghasemi, Selcuk Yerci, Andrej Lenert, Sungwoo Yang, Evelyn Wang, and Gang Chen, “ Internally-heated thermal and externally-cool photovoltaic cascade solar system for the full solar spectrum utilization“, US Application: 61/868715.
- Hadi Ghasemi, Amy Marie Marconnet, and Gang Chen, “ Localized solar collectors“, US Application: 61/874390.
- Seok Woo Lee, Yuan Yang, Hadi Ghasemi, Yi Cui, and Gang Chen, “An electrochemical system for highly efficient harvesting of low-grade heat energy“, US Application: 61/836593.
Grants and Funded Research
- U.S. Air Force Young Investigator Award, $360,000, three year grant.