For a crime to be committed, an offender must have desire, ability, and opportunity. Law enforcement can do little to remove an offender's desire and ability to commit crimes, but together we can remove the element of opportunity.
Remove the temptation of opportunity by taking precautions.
Protect Your Property
- Lock your home or office door each time you leave – even for short trips down the hall to visit your neighbor or co-worker.
- Do not leave items of value out in the open.
- Engrave your driver's license number property items (Operation ID).
- Record serial numbers and brand names for property.
- Lock your door when you take a nap or retire for the evening.
- Require identification before admitting someone unfamiliar into your room.
- Do not walk alone at night. Stay on lighted walkways and use the Cougar Patrol escort service.
- Report suspicious people or circumstances. Stop a crime before it happens.
- Offer your confidential assistance to the University Police.
Protect Your Bicycle