Hurricane Harvey Serves As Inspiration for STEM Projects at Annual Science Fair

Feb. 24 Event Expected to Draw More Than 1,000 Students to UH

Personal experiences with Hurricane Harvey are the inspiration behind dozens of STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) projects by middle and high schools students from the greater Houston area. Their ideas, such as ways to improve retention ponds, prevent blackouts and waterproof drywall, will be on display during the 59th Annual Science and Engineering Fair of Houston at the University of Houston Athletic & Alumni Center on Saturday, Feb. 24,

  • More than 1,000 middle and high school students (grades 7-12) from Southeast Texas will participate.
  • Projects are based on 17 science fair categories, ranging from rocketry found in aerospace and assistance from robotic mechanical devices to new findings in medicine and health.
  • Sponsored by Chevron, the competition is the one of the largest events of its kind in the country.
  • Winners will qualify for the Texas State Engineering Science Fair next month in San Antonio. Grand award winners are eligible for the INTEL International Science and Engineering Fair in Pittsburgh in May.

Heather Domjan, executive director of SEFH and interim executive director of the UH STEM Center, said in addition to the fair making students aware of career opportunities in STEM, it brings to the forefront the needs for companies to fill jobs in those fields.

“An aging engineering workforce has led to a real deficit and efforts to replace those retirees have been challenging,” Domjan explained. “Of the students who start college pursuing a degree in a STEM field, only 25 percent actually complete this degree. We want to encourage the remaining 75 percent to complete their academic journey and find their place in the expanding STEM industries.”

WHAT: 59th Annual Science and Engineering Fair of Houston

WHEN:   9 a.m. - 4 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 24

WHERE:  UH Athletics & Alumni Center, Room 201, 3204 Cullen Blvd.

ONSITE MEDIA CONTACT: Heather Domjan, 281-380-0764