University Information Technology is comprised of the Office of the Associate Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, and three operational departments: Enterprise Systems, IT Security, and Technology Services and Support. The Chief Information Officer serves as the designated agency Information Resources Manager.
The function and responsibilities of the operational departments include:
- Support for the instructional and research computing efforts of the faculty and students on the University of Houston campus via operation and maintenance of student and faculty computing labs; support of high-powered workstations for research; development of systems to enhance academic computing; and providing consulting, network, and operational support for high-performance computing.
- Operation and maintenance of the centralized computing hardware and software. These facilities provide cycles on timeshared computer systems, centralized disk storage, printing, and software supporting instruction, and research computing for the University of Houston campus, as well as administrative computing facilities and software for both the campus and the University of Houston System.
- Publication and dissemination of information regarding University of Houston information resources and services via print, electronic mail, LISTSERV mailing lists, newsgroups, and World Wide Web online information systems.
- Design, development or acquisition, enhancement, and maintenance of the campus-based administrative computing applications that support admissions, advising, registration, student records, grade reporting, financial aid, student accounts receivable and collections, cashiering, parking, and institutional reporting.
- Technical assistance and database management for University of Houston system-wide applications: human resources, financial records, and alumni development.
- Customer/user consulting, education, and technical documentation for the mainframe, workstation, network, and personal computer services, products, hardware, and software supported by Information Technology.
- Design, maintenance, and operation of the campus telephone system and the campus-wide data communications network, including the fiber and copper cable plant between and in the buildings.
- Design, maintenance, and operation of the inter-campus communications networks providing interactive video, broadcast video, and Internet data connections to all University of Houston components.
- Origination of live instructional television classes for Distance Education and provision of broadcast studios, satellite, and compressed video teleconference facilities for University courses and campus departments.
- Strategic planning for information technology on the campus, and the design and implementation of new and improved information technologies for campus-wide use.