Frequently Asked Questions - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why choose University of Houston for accelerated certification?  
A: At the University of Houston (UH), we offer an award-winning program, completely approved by Texas Education Agency (TEA) with expert faculty in the field. In addition, we have developed solid partnerships with schools across the Houston area to help you get hired!   

Q: What does ACP mean?  
A: ACP stands for Alternative Certification Program. The alternative route is for individuals who already hold a bachelor’s degree and are interested in transitioning into the teaching industry. There is a high demand for teachers in the Houston region. This program enables you to work as a full-time teacher, with salary and benefits, while gaining your certification.   

Q: How long does it take to complete the ACP?  
A: Roughly, one year. However, you can start teaching full-time, with pay and benefits, this August 2024.  

Q: What is required to teach in Texas?  
A: There are five requirements to become certified to teach in Texas: 

  • A bachelor’s degree 
  • Completion of a TEA-approved educator preparation program (UH ACP) 
  • Pass certification exam(s) 
  • Submit a state application to be certified 
  • Complete fingerprinting and hiring process 

Q: What are the general requirements to apply to UH ACP? 
A: To apply for our program, you only need the following: 

  • A bachelor's degree  
  • Minimum 2.5 GPA 
  • Official transcripts from all universities/colleges attended 
  • 12-15 content hours 
    • EC-6 (elementary): 12 hours total of math, history, and English 
    • 4-8, 7-12 English/history: 12 hours 
    • 4-8, 7-12 Math/science: 15 hours 
    • Most of these content hour requirements are completed with a bachelor’s degree. 

Q: Is the program online?  
A: The program is hybrid (both online and in-person). Here are the 2024 in-person dates. Workshops are held in-person at the University of Houston (UH) main campus. 

Q: When I complete the program, does the University of Houston help me get a job?  
A: Yes, the University of Houston maintains strong relationships with school districts to help you get hired! Through virtual meet & greets, classroom observations, and job fairs, you will have multiple opportunities to network so you can begin teaching this August (2024). 

Q: My bachelor’s degree is in a different field. Can I still apply? 
A: Yes, we accept a bachelor’s degree from any field. We will review your transcript(s) to ensure you meet the content hours requirement to teach the subject you are interested in. 

Q: I have a bachelor’s degree from outside of the US, can I still apply?  
A: Yes, you are welcome to join the program. Email us at to understand the process for participants with international degrees.  

Q: If I graduate with a bachelor’s degree in May, can I start the program in July?  
A: Absolutely! You can apply now and start teaching in August.  

Q: What teaching certifications are offered?  
A: We offer most certifications. You can see a full list on the teacher certification for prospective students page. Please note, we don’t offer certifications in Physical Education & Health or Career & Technical Education. 

Q: How do I send my transcripts to UH ACP? 
A: Please contact all colleges/universities you have attended and have them send your official transcripts directly to  

Q: I graduated from the University of Houston. Do I still need to send in my transcripts? 
A: Yes, please contact UH and have the university send your official transcript(s) to