Student Outreach and Support (SOS)
Connecting Cougars to Care
Student Outreach and Support is committed to the success and well-being of all students in our community. In collaboration with our campus, community, and health care partners, we work to help identify, support and refer students who may be experiencing complex personal difficulty such as a mental health related crisis or distress that may impact their academic, personal and/or social ability.
Through a comprehensive and collaborative approach, SOS staff reaches out to students on behalf of the university to communicate our care and concern about their health and well-being and to offer resources and support that may be helpful to them on their path to success and college completion.
SOS services for students include but are not limited to:
- Initial meeting to determine needs and services
- Communication with professors
- Assistance in transition back to classes after a medical leave or acute care event
- Outreach to students who may be in need of a connection to or referral for mental health related support
- Development of a Student Care Plan to help the student identity, access and maintain the necessary levels of specialized support
- Consultation with student and family
- Advocacy for students with various offices and departments on and off campus
- Information and referral to campus and community resources