Director of Developmental Neuropsychology Lab
Texas Center for Learning Disabilities
Texas Institute for Measurement, Evaluation and Statistics
Ph.D., University of Houston
Health 1, Room 480
Dr. Cirino will be reviewing graduate student applications for the 2023-2024 academic year. Application deadline is Dec 1, 2022. Please see Student Admissions, Outcomes, and Other Data for details.
- Developmental Neuropsychology
- Math and Reading Learning Difficulties and Disabilities
- Attention, Working Memory, and Executive Functions
- Measurement and Metholodology
- PSYC 7338: Cognitive Disorders and Lifespan Neuropsychology: II (graduate)
- PSYC 6356: Clinical Assessment I (graduate)
- PSYC 6357: Clinical Assessment II (graduate)
- PSYC 3301: Introduction to Psychological Statistics (undergraduate)
- PSYC 1300: Introduction to Psychology (undergraduate)
Selected Publications (past 3 years)
*DNL Student Lab Member
- *Gioia, A., Cirino, P.T., Ahmed, Y., & Woods, S.P. (in press, 2022). Properties of a combined measure of reading and writing: The Assessment of Writing, Self-Monitoring, and Reading (AWSM Reader). Reading and Writing.
- *Warren, E.A., Raghubar, K.P., Cirino, P.T., *Child, A.E., Grosshans, D.R., Paulino, A.C., Okcu, M.F., Minard, C., Ris, M.D., Mahajan, A., Viana, A., Chintagumpala, M., & Kahalley, L.S. (in press, 2022). Cognitive predictors of social adjustment in pediatric brain tumor survivors treated with photon versus proton radiation therapy. Pediatric Blood and Cancer.
- *Macdonald, K.T., Francis, D.J., Hernandez, A.E., Castilla-Earls, A., & Cirino, P.T. (in press, 2022). Characterization of proficiency levels and balance among middle school English learners with reading difficulties. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition.
- Cirino, P.T., Tolar, T.D., & Fuchs, L.S. (in press, 2021). Domain general and specific contributions to algebra: A sequenced longitudinal path model. Contemporary Educational Psychology.
- Cirino, P.T., Barnes, M.A., Roberts, G., Miciak, J., & *Gioia, A. (in press, 2021). Visual attention and reading: A test of their relation across paradigms. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology.
- *Child, A.E., *Warren, E.A., Grosshans, D.R., Paulino, A.C., Okcu, M.F., Ris, M.D., Mahajan, A., Orobio, J., Cirino, P.T., Minard, C.G., Viana, A.G., Bick, J., Woods, S.P., Chintagumpala, M., & Kahalley, L.S. (in press, 2021). Long-term cognitive and academic outcomes among pediatric brain tumor survivors treated with proton versus photon radiotherapy. Pediatric Blood and Cancer.
- Ahmed, Y., Kent, S., Cirino, P.T., & Keller-Margulis, M. (in press, 2021). The not-so-simple view of writing in struggling readers/writers. Reading and Writing Quarterly, 38(3), 272-296.
- *Halverson, K.K., Derrick, J.L., Medina, L.D., & Cirino, P.T. (2021). Executive functioning in struggling readers: The NIH EXAMINER. Developmental Neuropsychology, 46(3), 213-231.
- *Gerst, E.H., Cirino, P.T., Miciak, J., *Macdonald, K., Yoshida, H., Gibbs, M.C., & Woods, S.P. (in press, 2021). The structure of processing speed in children and its impact on reading. Journal of Cognition and Development, 22(1), 84-107.
- *Fischer, J.T., Cirino, P.T., DeMaster, D., Alfano, C., Bick, J., Fan, W., & Ewing-Cobbs, L. (2021). Frontostriatal white matter integrity relations with ‘cool’ and ‘hot’ self-regulation following pediatric traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma, 38(1), 122-132.
- *Macdonald, K.T., Barnes, M.A., Miciak, J., Roberts, G., *Halverson, K.K., Vaughn, S., & Cirino, P.T. (2021). Sustained attention and behavioral ratings of attention in struggling readers. Scientific Studies of Reading, 25, 436-451.
- Medina, L.D., Torres, S., *Gioia, A., *Lopez, A.O., Wang, J., & Cirino, P.T. (2021). Reporting of demographic variables in neuropsychological research: An update of O’Bryant et al.’s 2004 trends in the current literature. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 27(5), 497-507.
- Fuchs, L.S., Powell, S.R., Fall, A.M., Roberts, G., Cirino, P.T., Fuchs, D., & Gilbert, J.K. (2020). Do the processes engaged during mathematical word-problem solving differ along the distribution of word-problem competence? Contemporary Educational Psychology (online).
- Cirino, P.T., Kulesz, P.A., *Child, A.E., Ware, A.L., Barnes, M.A., Fletcher, J.M., & Dennis, M. (2019). The role of neurocognitive factors in academic fluency for children and adults with spina bifida myelomeningocele. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 25, 249-265.
- Cirino, P.T., Tolar, T.D., & Fuchs, L.S. (2019). Longitudinal algebra prediction for early versus later takers. Journal of Educational Research, 112(2), 179-191.
- Cirino, P.T., Miciak, J., Ahmed, Y., Barnes, Marcia A., Taylor, W.P., & *Gerst, E.H. (2019). Executive function: Association with multiple reading skills. Reading and Writing, 32, 1819-1846.
- *Child, A.E., Cirino, P.T., Fletcher, J.M., Willcutt, E.G., & Fuchs, L.S. (2019). A cognitive dimensional approach to understanding shared and unique contributions to reading, math, and attention skills. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 52(1), 15-30.