Maintain F-1 Status - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Maintain F-1 Status

If you entered the United States on an F-1 visa, you are required to maintain F-1 status by studying full time in the Language and Culture Center.

Requirements for F-1 Students

  • Attend and pass all classes. Excessive absence may result in academic probation, suspension from the LCC, and termination of your F-1 student status. The termination will affect your future applications for U.S. visas, re-entry to the U.S., and applications for immigration benefits, such as work authorization and Permanent Residency.
  • Keep your passport valid at least 6 months into the future.
  • Report new home address, phone number, and email address to the LCC within 10 days of change.
  • Keep your Form I-20 valid at all times. Contact the Director of Student Services and request a program extension before your Form I-20 expires.
  • Contact the Director of Student Services:
    • in advance before you travel outside the United States;
    • if you need to take a break from school; or
    • if you wish to transfer to a new school.


  • You may work on campus for up to 20 hours a week while school is in session.
  • You may work on campus for up to 40 hours a week when school is not in session or during an annual vacation approved by the Director of Student Services.
  • You may not work off campus.