Work On-Campus and Get a Social Security Card - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Work On-Campus and Get a Social Security Card

If you are an F-1 student, you may work up to 20 hours a week while school is in session. You may work up to 40 hours a week when school is not in session or during an annual vacation approved by the Language and Culture Center. You may not work off campus unless you have received permission from the Department of Homeland Security to do so.

On-Campus Jobs

To look for jobs on campus, vsit employers and ask for job information. Alternatively, log into your AccessUH account at and search jobs in Cougar Pathway. If you need assistance, contact University Career Services, which provides services including: 

  • career counseling
  • on-campus interviews
  • vocational assessments
  • internship services
  • career fairs
  • career workshops
  • mock interviews

Social Security Card

If you are an international student, you must have received a job offer before you may apply for a Social Security number. Once you have the job offer, bring all items listed below and visit the Social Security Administration (SSA) to apply for a Social Security nubmer:

  • Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, available at
  • birth certificate or passport
  • Form I-20 if you are an F-1 student
  • Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, or admission stamp in an unexpired foreign passport
  • a verification letter from the LCC. Contact the LCC and request the letter. 
  • evidence of employment, such as a letter from your employer, describing all of the following:
    • your job
    • your employment start date
    • the number of hours you are, or will be, working
    • your supervisor’s name and telephone number
According to the SSA, all documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The SSA does not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.