Asian American Studies (AAS) offers an interdisciplinary minor which examines the diverse Asian American/Pacific Islander American experiences from historical, cultural, and political perspectives, including community development and contemporary issues. A minor in this field is becoming more important in building the cross-cultural and transnational understandings needed to be successful in 21st Century career pursuits involving the growing opportunities in Asian countries around the world. This prepares students for a variety of careers in counseling, human services, nursing, public administration, journalism, business, law and health professions. As well as, teaching careers in history, English, history, political science, psychology, sociology and elementary education.
A minor in Asian American Studies provides students with concrete opportunities to interact with ethnically diverse members of the Asian and Asian American communities through local collaborations and the China Study Abroad Program. Integrated topics include international communication skills, global leadership in education, Asian and Asian American health issues, immigration, diaspora, and Chinese culture through literature, film, and media.
What will I learn?
Students will learn about Asian American Studies from a broad range of perspectives. Topics include:
- Cross-cultural and transnational understanding of learning
- Asian American history, cultures and communities
- International communication skills
- Global leadership in education
- Asian American health issues
- Chinese culture through literature and films
- AAMS 3330-The Vietnamese American Experience
- AAMS 4322- Ethnography and Asian American Community
- AAMS 2330 – Introduction to Southeast Asian American Studies
- AAMS 3345 – Asian- / African American Relations
To enrich this coursework, the program also offers:
- Research projects
- Study abroad programs
- Scholar exchange programs
- Community activities
Since degree plans change periodically, students will follow the degree plan that is in place at the time in which they complete an official, approved degree plan. Following is the most current sample degree plan for a Minor in Asian American Studies.
For more information about courses please see the Coursework page.
What can I do with my degree?
A minor in Asian American Studies prepares students for a variety of careers in the following industries:
- Human services
- Public administration
- Law and health professions
To apply for this minor, make an appointment with an Asian American Studies Undergraduate Advisor.