Kevin E. Bassler
John and Rebecca Moores Professor of Physics and Mathematics
Department of Physics
Contact: email@example.com - (713) 743-3568
Education: Ph.D., Carnegie Mellon University, 1990
Complexity Theory and Non-Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics
The focus of my research is to understand and identify the fundamental principles that govern the dynamics of complex systems. I am interested in processes of growth, adaptation, self-organization, self-assembly, and evolution. Often, my approach is to construct simple models that capture the essence of experimental behavior of a class of systems, and use them to explore the common features that underlie their dynamics. My work usually involves a combination of analytic calculations and computer simulations.
Much of my current interest is in the dynamics of systems organized as complex networks. The applications include physical, biological, social, and engineered systems. I am currently working on projects to determine how to optimally route congested transport on networks, to optimally detect structure in network dynamics, to understand adaptive or evolutionary behavior of complex networks, and to understand the role of symmetry in complex network dynamics. I also interested in random matrix theory (RMT), and in applying RMT to understand the dynamics of networks.
Other current projects of mine involve the dynamics of financial markets and the behavior of materials systems, including the self-assembly of nano-structured arrays in semiconductor multilayers and the critical behavior of solids with extended defects.
- C.I. Del Genio and K.E. Bassler, "Anomalous Ordering in Inhomogeneously Strained Materials," Phys. Rev. E 82, 031115 (2010).
- C.I. Del Genio, H. Kim, Z. Toroczkai, and K.E. Bassler, "Efficient and Exact Sampling of Simple Graphs with Given Arbitrary Degree Sequence," PLoS ONE 5, e10012 (2010).
- J.H. Li, D.W. Stokes, J.C. Wickett, O. Caha, K.E. Bassler, and S.C. Moss, "Effect of Strain on the Growth of InAs/GaSb Superlattices: An X-Ray Diffraction Study," J. Appl. Phys. 107, 123504 (2010).
- C.I. Del Genio, K.E. Bassler, A.L. Korzhenevskii, R.I. Barabash, J. Trenkler, G.F. Reiter, and S.C. Moss, "Depth-dependent Ordering, Two- Length-Scale Phenomena, and Crossover Behavior in a Crystal Featuring a Skin Layer with Defects," Phys. Rev. B 81, 144111 (2010).
- B. Danila, Y. Sun, and K.E. Bassler, "Collectively Optimal Routing for Congested Traffic Limited by Link Capacity," Phys. Rev. E 80, 066116 (2009).
- Y. Sun, B. Danila, K. Josic, and K.E. Bassler, "Improved Community Structure Detection using a Modified Fine-Tuning Strategy," EPL 86, 28004 (2009).
- K.E. Bassler, P.J. Forrester, and N.E. Frankel, "Eigenvalue Separation in Some Random Matrix Models," J. Math Phys. 50, 033302 (2009).
- Z. Toroczkai, B. Kozma, K.E. Bassler, N.W. Hengartner, and G. Korniss, "Gradient Networks," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 41, 155103 (2008).
- B. Danila, Y. Yu, J.A. Marsh and K.E. Bassler, "Optimal Transport on Complex Networks," Phys. Rev. E 74, 046106 (2007); Chaos 17, 026102 (2007).
- C.J. Olsen Reichhardt, and K.E. Bassler, "Canalization and Symmetry in Boolean Models for Genetic Regulatory Networks," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor. 40, 4339 (2007).
- K.E. Bassler, J.L. McCauley, and G.H. Gunaratne, "Nonstationary Increments, Scaling Distributions, and Variable Diffusion Processes in Financial Markets," Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 104, 17287 (2007).
- O. Caha, V. Holy, and K.E. Bassler, "Nonlinear Evolution of Surface Morphology in InAs/AlAs Superlattices via Surface Diffusion," Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 136102 (2006).
- K.E. Bassler, G.H. Gunaratne, and J.L. McCauley, "Markov Processes, Hurst Exponents, and Nonlinear Diffusion Equations," Physica A 369, 343 (2006).
- M. Liu and K.E. Bassler, "Emergent Criticality from Coevolution in Random Boolean Networks," Phys. Rev. E 74, 041910 (2006).
- J.H. Li, D.W. Stokes, O. Caha, S.L. Ammu, J. Bai, K.E. Bassler, and S.C. Moss, "Morphological Instability in InAs/GaSb Superlattices Due to Interfacial Bonds," Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 096104 (2005).
- Z. Toroczkai and K.E. Bassler, "Jamming is Limited in Scale-Free Networks," Nature 428, 716 (2004).
- M. Anghel, Z. Toroczkai, K.E. Bassler, and G. Korniss "Competition-Driven Network Dynamics: Emergence of a Scale-free Leadership Structure and Collective Efficiency," Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 058701 (2004).
- K.E. Bassler, C. Lee, and Y. Lee, "Evolution of Developmental Canalization in Networks of Competing Boolean Nodes," Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 038101 (2004).