Fall Semester Prior to Year of Application
- Attend a Fulbright information session to learn more about the Fulbright application and timeline.
- Begin developing your Statement of Grant Purpose, Personal Statement, and any other application components specific to your Fulbright program of interest as listed on the Fulbright Application Check List.
- Meet with a UH Fulbright Faculty Advisor or a faculty mentor within your field of interest.
Early Spring Semester of Application Year (January - March)
- Schedule an initial advising session with the UH Fulbright Program Advisor, Dr. Jennifer Asmussen.
- If a research mentor is needed, a Fulbright Faculty Advisor (FFA) will be recommended based on your proposal type and topic area.
- Contact and meet with your FFA. Continue working on your Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement.
- For study/research applicants, discuss your research abroad thesis with your mentor or FFA. Confirm affiliations for research or become familiar with the application process for your foreign master’s program.
- For creative/performing arts applicants, discuss potential professional mentors abroad and/or venues and institutions for performance with your mentor or FFA. Prepare supplementary materials such as writing samples, images, DVDs, or performance CDs. (Verify the appropriate delivery method to be used and begin this as early as possible to make sure your submission is polished and professional.)
- For ETA applicants, you will need to obtain some relevant teaching experience, participate in cross-cultural training, review and study the language of host country, and develop a community outreach proposal.
- If affiliations are necessary for your Fulbright application, contact Leah Scott at the Global Strategies and Studies office for help and guidance with the affiliation process.
End of the Spring Semester of Application Year (April - May)
- Once you have a draft of your Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement, schedule time to meet with the UH Fulbright Program Advisor. The UH Fulbright Program Advisor will provide you with feedback on your application documents.
- Work with the UH Writing Center to incorporate the comments and suggestions of the UH Fulbright Program Advisor.
Summer of Application Year (June - July)
- Continue meeting with the UH Fulbright Program Advisor and the UH Writing Center throughout the summer to further develop and refine your application components.
Fall Semester of Application Year (August - October)
- By August, you should have completed a near final draft of your Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement.
- Submit your application to the Fulbright Embark system by the UH campus competition deadline. (Mid-September)
- Participate in the UH Fulbright Campus Committee Meeting interview (Mid- to Late-September)
- Incorporate campus committee comments into your Fulbright application before the national deadline.
- Submit your application and all supporting documents to the Fulbright Embark system by the national competition deadline. (Mid-October)