PolisStudents & Alumni: Applicant Timeline
Applicant Timeline for the 2014-2015 Fulbright:
January – April 2015:
- Attend the UH campus Fulbright Info Session (TBD), view the Fulbright Webinar Session archive or attend the UH International Scholarship/Fellowship Panel Discussion (April 17, 2014)
- Research countries of interest. Pay close attention to country statistics for competitiveness and applicant requirements. Remember, if a skill or qualification is listed as “encouraged” or “recommended” then you should have it to be competitive.
- For research and study grants, locate all the potential affiliates you may need and/or indentify an approprirate master’s programs
- Schedule initial advising session with the UH Fulbright Program Advisor (Leah Scott).
- Draft your Personal Statement and Statement of Grant Purpose. Your essays will undergo several rounds of revisions. (Keep in mind the mission of the Fulbright program when drafting essay and projects: “To increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and people of other countries through exchange" and how this aligns with your personal purpose for pursuing the Fulbright.
- Bring any materials that you have started: including research proposals, personal essays, resume, etc. Review the Fulbright Adpplication Check List and determine what you need to provide for your specific program.
May – July 2015:
- After meeting with the UH Fulbright advisor, create an Embark account on the U.S. Fulbright webpage.
- For study/research applicants, meet with your UH faculty advisor to discuss your research abroad thesis. Confirm affiliations for research or begin application process for foreign master’s program.
- For creative/performing arts applicants, meet with your UH faculty advisor to discuss potential professional mentors abroad and/or venues and institutions for performance. Prepare supplementary materials such as writing samples, images, DVDs, or performance CDs. (Verify the appropriate delivery method to be used and begin this as early as possible to make sure your submission is polished and professional.)
- For ETA applicants, you will need to obtain some relevant teaching experience, participate in cross-cultural training, review and study the language of host country, and develop a community outreach proposal.
- Become familiar with the culture of the host country. For example, subscribe to online news feeds, attend local international community center events, keep abreast of current trends in economics, politics, youth, etc. in the countries in your proposal.
- Request official transcripts for all institutions you have attended. Scan your transcripts and upload them via Embark.
- Prepare final draft of Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Essay. Leah Scott will refer you to a Fulbright Writing Consultant to polish drafts.
- Complete online application components and preview.
- Perform any final touches and submit application and materials through Embark by the UH campus deadline: TBD (typically the third or 4th week in September (depending on the national deadline date)
- Confirm Campus Interview during October with Fulbright Campus Committee.
- If residing in the Houston area, you will interview with UH Fulbright campus committee at the UH campus. If outside of the region, your interview will be conducted via Skype.
- This is the only interview in the application process. The Committee will complete a Campus Evaluation Form and assign a rating for your application. Regardless of rating, all applications will be submitted to Fulbright U.S. Student Programs.
- The Campus committee will also provide feedback to improve your application. Your application will be “un-submitted” by Leah Scott and you will be able to make any corrections necessary through Embark.
- Re-submit your application through Embark by the national deadline: TBD (typically the first or second week in October each year)
December 2015 - January 2016:
- The National Screening Committees meet in December-January to review applications for particular countries and programs.
- By January 31, students whose applications have been recommended to the in-country committee (Host Country’s Fulbright Commission) will be notified by Fulbright U.S. Student Programs.
- Submit hard copy official transcripts per instructions in Recommendation notification email.
March – May 2016
- Final selection of Fulbright awardees announced on a rolling basis by host countries.
- Meet with UH Fulbright and UH Media Relations for interviews for website and Media News Release.
- Complete Pre-Departure tasks per instructions in Award Notification email.