Fall Semester (September - December, 2015)
- Schedule initial advising session with the UH Fulbright Program Advisor, Dr. Jennifer Asmussen.
- Become familiar with the Types of Fulbright Grant Awards, the Application Components specific to your Fulbright Grant Award of interest, as well as the Country Program Summary for your host country of interest in order to verify the type of grant award you can propose, as well as any foreign language, cross-cultural training, or Supplementary Materials that may be required.
- Prepare an outline and|or abstract of your Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement.
- If you are not already working with a faculty advisor in your discipline, schedule a meeting with designated Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) faculty and staff to discuss your Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement. If a faculty advisor in your discipline is needed, a Fulbright Faculty Advisor will be recommended based on your proposal type and topic area.
Early Spring Semester (January - March, 2016)
- Under the supervision of your faculty or staff advisor, begin drafting your Statement of Grant Purpose, Personal Statement, and preparing Supplementary Materials (Study|Research: Creative & Performing Arts, only).
- Identify and contact appropriate faculty and|or individuals for Reference Letters (required for all Fulbright applications).
- Establish an affiliation with an institution or organization in your country of choice (and secure an Affiliation Letter, if necessary). If you need assistance, contact Leah Scott at Global Strategies and Studies for help with the affiliation process.
End of the Spring Semester (April - May, 2016)
- Create an Embark Account on the U.S. Fulbright webpage.
- Complete a draft of your Statement of Grant Purpose, Personal Statement, and Supplementary Materials (if necessary), and submit to your faculty or staff advisor for feedback.
- Use the Fulbright Application Checklist to ensure all the Application Components for your particular grant award are in the process of being completed (i.e.; Affiliation Letter, Reference Letters, Foreign Language Forms, Transcripts, etc.).
- Work with the UH Writing Center to incorporate the comments and suggestions of your faculty or staff advisor.
Summer (June - July, 2016)
- Continue meeting with your faculty or staff advisor and the UH Writing Center throughout the summer to refine your Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement.
- Finalize Supplementary Materials (if necessary).
- Ensure all additional Application Components are completed (or are almost completed).
Fall Semester (August - October, 2016)
- By August, you should have a final draft of your Statement of Grant Purpose and Personal Statement, as well as Supplementary Materials (if necessary). All additional Application Components should be finalized.
- Upload all Application Components to the Fulbright Embark system by the UH campus competition deadline: September 2, 2016.
- Participate in the UH Fulbright Campus Interviews: September 19-21, 2016.
- Incorporate Campus Interview comments into your Fulbright application before the national deadline.
- Submit all Application Components (incorporating Campus Interview revisions) to the Fulbright Embark system by the UH national competition deadline: October 7, 2016.