Verification of Information
Verification is a random quality-control method used by the U.S. Department of Education to check the accuracy of information submitted on the FAFSA. All schools that disburse Federal Title IV Funds are required to participate in the verification process. The verification process is a manual review of your application and requires a minimum of 2-3 weeks for processing.
Review a list of ways to reduce your chances of being selected for verification on the How to Apply for Financial Aid page.
Students Selected for Verification
If you are selected for verification, the UH Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid will notify you via email informing you of missing information or any changes to your award due to verification. Any missing information is “initiated” in your myUH To-Do list, and is required to process your financial aid application. These requirements can be viewed online via myUH. Failure to submit the requested documents will prevent awarding or result in the cancellation of existing financial aid awards. If any differences are found between information reported in the FAFSA and actual figures reported in verification documents, corrections will be made to your FAFSA and adjustments may be made to your financial aid package.
Note: When referring to your myUH To-Do List, be sure to select the correct award year for financial aid information. 2012 aid year includes Fall 2011, Spring 2012, and Summer 2012 semesters. 2013 aid year includes Fall 2012, Spring 2013, and Summer 2013 semesters.
Additional questions about verification may be answered on the Scholarships and Financial Aid FAQs page.
2012 Deadline: Per Federal regulations the final deadline to process corrections for the 2012 aid year is September 17, 2012. To allow time for accurate processing, the deadline to submit documents to UH for 2012 financial aid is Saturday, September 1, 2012 or 120 days after your last day of enrollment at UH, whichever comes first. You must already have an official SAR and EFC processed by the Department of Education in order to submit any requested documents to our office.
2013 Deadline: Per Federal regulations the final deadline to process corrections for the 2013 aid year is September 23, 2013. To allow time for accurate processing, the deadline to submit documents to UH for 2013 financial aid is Friday, September 6, 2013 or 120 days after your last day of enrollment at UH, whichever comes first. You must already have an official SAR and EFC processed by the Department of Education in order to submit any requested documents to our office.
Warning: If you purposely provide false or misleading information, you will be reported to the U.S. Office of Inspector General, and may be subject to fine, sentenced to jail, or both by the U.S. Department of Education.
Documents may be submitted in one of three ways:
- In Person: Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid located in the Welcome Center
- Fax: 713-743-9098
- Mail: University of Houston, Attn: Financial Aid, Room 31 E. Cullen Building, Houston, TX 77204
Do not submit documents unless requested by UH in your myUH "To-Do List."
Documents requested from Dependent students selected for verification may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Signed Verification Worksheet for Dependent Students
- Copy of student's federal tax information:
- Copy of parent's federal tax information:
- Copy of student’s W-2 forms
- Copy of parent’s W-2 forms
Documents requested from Independent students selected for verification may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Signed Verification Worksheet for Independent Students
- Copy of student's federal tax information
- Copy of spouse's federal tax information
- Copy of student’s W-2 forms
- Copy of spouse’s W-2 forms (if applicable)
- Write your myUH ID on each page submitted.
- Submit all required documentation by the deadline, or for verification requirements submit no later than 120 days after your last day of enrollment at UH.
- If selected for verification, do not leave the answer to any question blank on the verification worksheet. Indicate zero or not applicable (N/A) if appropriate.
- If a tax transcript is initiated in your To-Do List, do not submit tax return forms. An official IRS Transcript is required. Order your official IRS Tax Transcript
|(click for larger image)||(click for larger image)|