Dr. Fishman is a historian of Europe specializing in twentieth-century French history with an emphasis on gender and society. She is currently the associate dean for undergraduate studies in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. Fishman received her Bachelor's degree in History from Oberlin College in 1979, an MA in International Relations from the University of Southern California in 1980, an MA (1981) and a Ph.D. in History from Harvard University, 1987.
Dr. Fishman teaches courses in European history, including Modern France since 1870 and Work and Family Life in Modern Europe. She offers graduate seminars in European social history, modern French history and European Historiography since 1500. Fishman has served on numerous dissertation and thesis committees. In 2006, she received the University of Houston Teaching Excellence Award.
Dr. Fishman has published two books exploring the social impact of World War II in France, We Will Wait about POW wives, and The Battle for Children about juvenile justice. She, with her UH colleague Dr. Robert Zaretsky and Alice Conklin of Ohio State University, co-authored a major new French history text, France and its Empire since 1870. Fishman has also co-edited a fourth book, published many articles and regularly reviews new books for national scholarly journals. She received the University of Houston Research Excellence Award. Her present research focuses on France in the two decades after World War II, exploring ideas about the family, sex and marriage for a manuscript tentatively titled From Vichy to the Sexual Revolution.
- France and its Empire Since 1870, co-authored with Alice L. Conklin and Robert Zaretsky (Oxford University Press, 2010)
- The Battle for Children: World War II, Youth Crime and Juvenile Justice in Twentieth-Century France (Harvard University Press 2002).
- La Bataille de l’Enfance: Délinquance juvenile et justice des mineurs en France pendant la Seconde Guerre Mondiale (Presses Universitaires de Rennes, 2008)
- France at War: Vichy and the Historians, co-edited with Laura L. Downs, Ioaanis Sinanaglou, Leonard V. Smith, Robert Zaretsky, (Berg Publishers, 2000).
- La France sous Vichy: Autor de Robert Paxon, co-edited, (Editions complexe, 2004).
- We Will Wait: Wives of French Prisoners of War, 1940-1945 (Yale University Press, December 1991). Received the University of Houston Research Excellence Award, 1993.