MASTER OF FINE ARTS IN TECHNICAL DIRECTION
The University of Houston School of Theatre & Dance strives to create a challenging and supportive environment within its Design & Technology MFA program. An inquisitive theatre design and technology student will be given the opportunity and support to explore their own unique voice through artistic collaboration. Upon successful completion of the program, a UH graduate will be exceptionally qualified for a career in the theatre and the related entertainment industry.
UH brings in guest directors from across the world to work with our students. Design and Technology students are regularly exposed to artists from local Houston arts institutions – the Alley Theatre, Houston Ballet, Houston Grand Opera, Theatre Under the Stars, Stages, and AD Players, to name a few.
- Students should expect to TD between six and eight fully supported productions in our three venues over the course of their studies.
- Students serve as teaching assistants, supervising undergraduate students in production and technology classes.
- In addition to the design, CAD, and collaboration classes, the curriculum includes the study of dramaturgy, literature, and theatre history.
- The School of Theatre & Dance also produces the Houston Shakespeare Festival, annually mounting two productions attended by nearly 30,000 patrons each summer.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Email area head of your interest with cover letter and link to website or portfolio and 3 references.
- There will be continued correspondance to schedule a virtual or on campus visit.
- Acceptance to the School of Theatre & Dance does not guarantee acceptance to University of Houston.