Master of Arts in Art History Admission Requirements
The MA program in Art History requires the following for admission:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution with an overall 3.0 (B) average on the last 60 hours of course credit.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) requirement for the MA in Art History has been suspended for Fall 2021admission.
- The materials listed below under Application Procedures.
The priority deadline for U.S. residents and international applicants is January 15. Applications may be considered after this date, but they will not receive the priority that earlier applications do.
All applications are accepted to begin in the fall semester only.
Though an undergraduate degree in art history is not required, consideration is given to the number and variety of undergraduate courses in art history taken, as well as experience with humanities research and writing. An understanding of the discipline of art history and preparation for graduate study are essential.
Some areas of specialization at the graduate level require reading scholarly literature in at least one foreign language from the very beginning. Therefore, while some students may be able to brush up on languages while pursing graduate study, others may need to take a course the summer before entering the graduate program. Consult with the Graduate Advisor or an art history faculty member to determine if this applies to you.
Application Procedures for the MA in Art History
- Complete the University of Houston Graduate School application form.
- Complete the Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts MA application form.
- 1 official transcript from each college or university attended since high school (sent directly to the Office of Admissions from the schools, electronic when possible).
- Scanned copies of official transcripts can be uploaded as PDF files and may be used by programs to make admission decisions. Please follow these instructions to properly scan and upload your transcript. If admitted, however, you will not be able to enroll without the official transcript(s) showing undergraduate degree conferral on file. Official transcript(s) should be sent to:
University of Houston
P.O. Box 3947
Houston, TX 77253-3947
University of Houston
4302 University Dr, Rm 102
Houston, TX 77204-2012
Electronic or "Speede" Transcript:
Within the U.S., the fastest way to send your transcript is electronically. Please inquire at your previous institution about this option. Electronic transcripts can be delivered via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 transcript from each college or university attended since high school scanned and uploaded during the application process in PDF format as a SINGLE document.
- (Suspended: Fall 2021 admission) GRE Scores (sent electronically to the University of Houston – code 6870)
- During the applications process you will be asked to provide names and email addresses of 3 people to serve as your references. At least one of these should be familiar with your work in Art History. They will be contacted electronically by the university for the recommendation.
- A resume of academic and work experience. If applicable, include reading and/or speaking proficiency level in one or more foreign languages. Upload this during the application process in PDF form.
- Letter stating academic interests within the field of art history and career goals. Upload this during the application process in PDF form.
- One sample of academic writing demonstrating research abilities. Upload this during the application process in PDF form under the section Option-Misc. Items.
Additional Application Procedures for International Students
Applicants who are not citizens of the United States are considered international students by the University, regardless of residency or immigration status.
- Please refer to the instructions on the Graduate School for further information. International Applicants Graduate School