Defending and Graduating in Fall 2020?
Please review college-specific information about submitting your thesis and any required paperwork. Deadlines vary by college.
You must submit two things to the Honors College: 1) Final Defense and Evaluation Form signed by all three of your committee members, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org; and 2) final PDF copy of your thesis with a blank signature page included, submitted to the Senior Honors Thesis portal.
Starting a Thesis in the Spring 2021 Semester?
By December 1st, please submit your Verification of Eligibility Form with sections one and two completed. The second section must be signed by the Director of Undergraduate Studies in your major department. Please send this form to email@example.com.
No later than the first day of Spring 2021 (January 19th), you must submit your prospectus, Prospectus Approval Form, and Thesis Checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the first month of classes, you will be assigned an Honors Reader, who will provide the final signature on your Prospectus Approval Form.
The Spring 2021 Senior Honors Thesis Orientation date will be announced in December 2020.
- University Honors with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, student has completed 28-36 hours of Honors coursework, including the Human Situation Sequence, and has completed a thesis
- Collegiate Honors with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, student has completed 22 hours of Honors coursework or an Honors minor, and has completed a thesis
- Membership in the Honors College with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, and has completed a thesis
- Honors in Major – Student has completed a thesis
The Office of Undergraduate Research is responsible for overseeing undergraduate thesis work throughout the university and ensuring its quality. Regardless of affiliation with The Honors College, all University of Houston students who meet the following requirements are eligible to complete a Senior Honors Thesis:
- 3.25 cumulative GPA and a 3.5 GPA in major
- Approval from the student’s academic department and The Honors College
- You must have two future semesters remaining at the University of Houston to enroll
- If you have more than three future remaining semesters, you must wait to enroll in the program
The total amount of work required for a thesis should be roughly equivalent to six hours of coursework (250-300 clock hours). You will register for a total of six credit hours (3399 and 4399) for your thesis. Generally, the hours will count toward your major degree requirements, but please verify this information with your academic advisor. You will receive an "IP" (in progress) grade for 3399, which will be changed to a letter grade when you have finished the thesis. Students who complete a Senior Honors Thesis will graduate with an Honors designation, which will be noted on the official transcript.
Collaborative efforts between The Honors College, the Office of Undergraduate Research, and each College at the University of Houston ensures students’ success in the Senior Honors Thesis program. Please visit the College-Specific Information for Senior Honors Thesis page for requirements, forms, and deadlines for each College.
If you wish to read past Senior Honors Theses, you may do so here.