Skip to main content

TASFA/Senate Bill 1528

(Formerly House Bill 1403)

Certain unauthorized immigrants are eligible to enroll in Texas public colleges and pay in-state tuition. In 2001, the Texas Legislature passed a bill that states that these students may be eligible for state grants. Eligible students MUST meet certain criteria provided in the legislation to be considered for Senate Bill 1528 status.

Students who are not U.S. Citizens, U.S. legal permanent residents, or eligible noncitizens do not qualify for federal financial assistance to pay for college.

Under HB 1403/SB1528 students are eligible to receive a variety of forms of state financial aid, but first must submit the University of Houston's electronic Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA).

As of Oct. 1, 2021, students can submit an electronic 22-23 TASFA by utilizing the University of Houston’s eTASFA portal.

Students and/or their parents must provide important information about their family's income and expenses every year. The University of Houston will use this application to determine how much state financial aid the student is eligible for. Please note that availability of funds is very limited, submitting an application does not guarantee eligibility. Students are encouraged to complete the application and upload all requested documentation by the Jan. 15 priority deadline each year to be considered for maximum funding.

Before you Apply

To be eligible to apply for state financial aid you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must not be eligible to apply for federal aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate
  • Be classified as a Texas resident (Note that a nonresident who pays a resident rate due to a tuition waiver is not a resident for the purpose of this application)
  • Be enrolled for a minimum of nine hours in a degree-seeking program
  • Be registered with the Selective Service if required (males only)
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Submit a Residency Affidavit to the Office of the University Registrar. *(Please note: This form is for admitted students only. If you have not graduated high school, your submitted form will stay in pending status until your final high school transcript is received by the Admissions Office. We encourage you to fill out the TASFA even if your Residency Affidavit is pending.)

Once you have determined that you are eligible, you are ready to begin the six steps to apply for state financial aid.

Steps for State Applicants

Step 1: File Taxes
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires you (and your spouse) and/or your parents to file a tax return if either you (or your spouse) and/or your parents meet the income thresholds established annually by the IRS. For more information regarding income thresholds, go to Request an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN): Individuals who do not have a Social Security Number can apply for an ITIN using a W-7 Tax Form. For more information, go to

Step 2: Register with the Selective Service (males only)
If you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25, you must register with the Selective Service. You can obtain a registration form at your local post office or at

Step 3: Complete your TASFA
Submit the e-TASFA for the 21-22 academic year, by clicking here. If you have not used the e-TASFA portal before, you will need to create an account to be able to submit your electronic application. If you previously created an account, you can sign in using the same credentials. Once you have completed and submitted the online application, you will be notified via email to submit any additional documents, which may include tax transcripts, selective service registration, and/or additional forms. You will also see the required documents listed in your myUH self-service To-Do List. These documents should be submitted by uploading them to each To-Do List item. Please click here for instructions on how to upload documents.

Additional documents requested may include one or more of the following:

  • Proof of registration with Selective Service (males only). You may upload a copy of the registration acknowledgement card.
  • A copy of your income tax transcript(s) for the requested year. If you (and your spouse) and/or your parents are required to file taxes, we will not process your TASFA until you upload a copy of all tax returns or IRS tax transcripts. If income was earned but a tax return was not submitted, please upload all W-2s for the requested tax year.
  • Order a free copy of tax return transcript. To order one, go to or call 1-800-908-9946.
  • You must complete and submit the TASFA to our office and upload any additional documents requested by the priority deadline of Jan. 15, to receive the maximum consideration for limited financial aid resources.

Step 4: Complete Your File if additional documentation is required
This program is awarded according to availability of funds. Applicants are awarded in order that they submit and/or complete their applications.

While processing your TASFA, additional documentation may be requested to complete your application. You will be notified via email if your file is incomplete. Be sure you monitor your To-Do List online in your myUH self-service account. The priority deadline to submit all requested documents is Jan. 15.

If we have requested additional documents, your completion date will be the date on which you submitted the last required document.

For example: Scott submits his TASFA in November but has required, initiated To Do List items that were requested in December. He uploads his parents' tax return transcript and all other required documents in December, but does not upload a copy of his Selective Service Registration Card until March. In this example, he would not be considered complete until March, at which time his file would be updated and submitted for review, but only after submitting all necessary documents.

In certain cases, we may initiate required documents via your To Do List after the Jan. 15 priority deadline, if you submitted your initial application by Jan. 15 and you did not have any pending items at that time, you will still be considered for priority funding. However, you must submit any required documents as soon as possible to complete your file to be offered any state aid.

Step 5: Check Your Status
In order to be eligible for state assistance, you MUST be a fully admitted, degree-seeking student. Check your status online in your myUH self-service account.

Step 6: Accept Your Awards
We will notify you via email when you have been awarded financial aid. Accept or decline your state financial award(s) in your myUH self-service account. Please refer to our Disbursement of Aid website for more information.

For help filling out your TASFA form:

  • Most high schools offer financial aid information sessions for students and parents
  • Video guides (available in English and Spanish) from

The University of Houston strives to make the TASFA process as straightforward as possible, but some students have unique situations that they need help with. If you still have questions, our financial aid advisors are available to answer your questions at the Welcome Center or by phone at 713-743-1010, option 5.

Types of State Aid

Texas Public Educational Grant (TPEG) - This program, administered by the state of Texas, provides assistance to students with financial need who are seeking a first Bachelor's degree. Only Texas residents and nonresidents who meet the priority deadline of Jan. 15 are considered. This form of aid requires an enrollment minimum of (9) nine credit hours each semester through the 12th class day (Official Reporting Day).

Towards EXcellence, Access and Success Grant Program (TEXAS Grant) - Students who complete the Recommended High School Program, Foundation High School Program or Distinguished Achievement Program in an accredited Texas high school and meet certain eligibility requirements are automatically considered for this state-sponsored program. Only Texas residents who meet the priority deadline of Jan. 15 are considered. For additional eligibility requirements please click here. This requires a minimum enrollment of nine (9) credit hours each semester through the 12th class day (Official Reporting Day).


University of Houston has an online e-TASFA! Click here to create an account, or sign in with your existing credentials, and complete the electronic application.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the requirements to complete the TASFA process?
To use this electronic application, you must be considered a Texas resident and your classification as a Texas resident must not be due to a waiver such as an in-state scholarship or an assistantship.

Steps to Complete the TASFA process:

  • Complete the TASFA form.
  • File Residency Affidavit with Office of the University Registrar regarding SB 1528. The deadline for this is the close of business day on the 12th day of class for the fall term.
  • Males should register with the selective service and attach a copy of the proof of registration.
  • Upload copies of the appropriate year tax transcripts.
  • If you and/or your parents did not have to file a federal income tax return, but earned wages which were paid in cash, report those cash earnings on the TASFA.

I am not yet a U.S. permanent resident, but I do have a social security card or an employment authorization card. Can I fill out the FAFSA?
You are not able to fill out a FAFSA until you become a permanent resident or are an eligible noncitizen with an Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) showing one of the following:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum granted,
  • Parolee (for a minimum of one year), or
  • Cuban-Haitian entrant

If none of these apply to you but you are classified as a Texas resident, you may be eligible to pay the Texas in-state tuition rate. If you meet all the other requirements for the TASFA, you may apply for the TASFA application instead of the FAFSA. Students receiving in-state tuition through a waiver such as a competitive scholarship or an assistantship are not eligible to use the TASFA.

What is the official priority deadline to submit my TASFA and supporting documents?
Students are encouraged to submit their TASFA and all required documents by January 15 to be considered for maximum funding. Students who miss the priority deadline for initial submission may have their application process delayed or denied, and funding will be awarded by the order of the date of TASFA completion.

How much aid can I receive if I am approved for my application?
Approved TASFA application students can be awarded up to $6,000 between fall and spring semesters, which is $3,000 each semester. There are no additional funds set aside for summer TASFA aid. You must maintain at least a nine hour enrollment to be eligible for the grant disbursement.

I submitted the TASFA late or did not get awarded enough money from my TASFA application. How else can I receive additional funding?
Students with state residency may apply for a College Access Loan (CAL) with the state coordinating board. Students will need a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen to complete the process. For more information, please click here.

I have TASFA documents requested on my to-do list. When is the deadline? I see that there is a date listed.
Students should complete the application process as soon as possible to be considered for maximum funding, especially before that date. Any delays in submitting the verification items that are requested will result in delays in being awarded, as TASFA funding is limited.

I am a first time in college Texas resident classified as a non-Texas resident. What is the process to update my residency?
Students should submit a complete Residency Affidavit to the Office of the University Registrar. Forms are located in the UH website in the Office of Admissions Residency Requirements section.

How often do I need to submit my TASFA?
The TASFA should be submitted every academic year you plan to apply for aid by the Jan. 15 deadline prior to the start of the academic year. The online application for the upcoming year becomes available each Oct. 1.

I am a male and am having difficulty registering for selective service online. What are my options?
You may be able to complete a paper version of the selective service registration form. This form is available at most post offices or at; please call your local office regarding form availability at that location. Complete this registration form and mail it to the Selective Service System office.

If you are male between the ages of 18 and 25, you must register with Selective Service in order to qualify for any type of state aid (regardless of residency status). Noncitizens not required to register include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including undocumented residents, legal permanent residents, and refugees.