To be accepted to the Language and Culture Center, a student must have completed the equivalent of U.S. high school prior to enrolling in the LCC. If the student is not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, the student has to obtain a valid non-immigrant or immigrant status which permits the student to study full time. Most international students study in the LCC on an F-1 visa.
Please submit all required documents listed below by the application deadlines. Once all required documents have arrived in the LCC, it will take 7 to 9 business days for the LCC to review an application. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed until all required documents have been received by the LCC.
2. $100 Application Fee
The fee is nonrefundable. The LCC does not accept payment by cash or credit cards. Listed below are payment methods:
- Wire transfer. Please contact the LCC by email at LCC@uh.edu for further instructions.
- Personal check made payable to "University of Houston." The check must contain the bank account holder's government ID number and date of birth.
- Money order made payable to "University of Houston."
3. Academic Records in Original Language
- If you completed high school, submit a copy of your final high school transcript and diploma.
- If you are in the process of completing high school, submit a copy of high school transcript, showing grades of all subjects you have taken. During your first semester in the LCC, submit a copy of your final high school transcript and diploma.
- If you attended a post-secondary institution, submit a copy of your college or university transcript, showing grades of all classes you have taken, and degree certificates, if any.
5. Passport, U.S. Visa, and Permanent Resident Card
- Passport: Submit a copy of your passport biographical information page.
- U.S. visa: Submit a copy of the U.S. visa you will use to enter the United States and study in the LCC, if any.
- Permanent Resident Card: Submit a copy of your Permanent Resident Card, also known as Green Card, if any.
- If you are in the process of applying for Permanent Residency, please submit a copy of your Form I-797C, Notice of Action, showing that your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is pending adjudication by USCIS.
6. Documents for F-1 International Students
7. Other Required Documents
- Applicants under age 22: Proof of Bacterial Meningitis Immunization and Compliance Form. If any documents were issued in a language other than English, submit a certified English translation.
- Applicants under age 18: Permission for Emergency Treatment Form
Once you have been accepted, the LCC will contact you asking how you would like to receive your acceptance letter and if applicable, your Form I-20.
Option 1: Express Mail
Option 2: Regular Postal Mail