The Language and Culture Center expects students to attend all classes. Students should not stop attending classes without first speaking with their instructors. In addition, F-1 students are required by immigration regulations to attend and pass all classes.
If you are not in a class, you will be marked absent. Listed below are some examples of when you will be marked absent:
- You do not come to class. There are no excused absences. Your teachers will mark you absent regardless of why you were absent.
- Students who are not in class are marked absent even with a doctor’s note. The student should provide a doctor’s note to the instructors in the event that the instructors need it to support a request to remain in the program after the student has accumulated 40 or more hours of absence.
- You are late to class. You may be marked absent for one hour if you are late for 10 minutes or longer.
- You are not prepared for class. You may be asked to leave the class if you do not bring your books or homework to class and you will be marked absent.
- You are asked to leave because you disrupted the class or did things that are not acceptable in a classroom setting.
- You are dropped from the LCC.
Communication to Instructors
Contact your teachers immediately if you will miss classes. You will still be counted absent. Your teachers expect you to contact a classmate to find out the assignments you have missed. Ask your teachers how to make up missed class work.
20 Hours of Absence (or 10 Hours for Summer II Students)
Once you reach 20 hours of absence (or 10 hours of absence if you are a Summer II student), the following will happen:
- You will receive a Notice of Twenty of Hours of Absence.
- You may be referred to the Academic Director and the Director of Student Services.
40 Hours of Absence (or 20 Hours for Summer II Students)
Once you reach 40 hours of absence (or 20 hours of absence if you are a Summer II student), the following will happen:
- You will receive a Notice of Forty Hours of Absence or a Drop Notice.
- You will be referred to the Academic Director and the Director of Student Services.
- You may be dropped from the LCC. If you are an F-1 student, you might violate rules of your F-1 status.
- You will not receive a Certificate of Successful Completion or a Certificate of Graduation.
10 Consecutive Days of Absence
If you are absent for 10 consecutive days or longer without provding a written explanation to the LCC, you will be dropped from the LCC immediately. If you are an F-1 student, you will violate rules of your F-1 status.