Skip to main content

Getting Started with the Funding Process

Before you can receive AFB funding you must have a couple of things in order.

  1. Your memorandum from the Center for Student Involvement. This document is proof of registration with the university; make sure you have your top officers listed on the memorandum.
  2. An Employer Identification Number or Tax ID Number (EIN) which is necessary to be recognized as an organization by the IRS and to be able to set up your bank account.
  3. A bank account for your organization. In order to receive your reimbursement we must have a bank account in the name of the organization. You will need to have an EIN and memorandum before you can set up your bank account.
  4. Your organization must have a Vendor ID on file with the university. Vendor ID paperwork can be downloaded from the funding request form

How to set up your EIN

  1. Visit the EIN Assistant on the IRS website and begin the application.
  2. Under types of legal structure select View Addditional Types… and click continue.
  3. Under additional types select PTA/PTO School Organization. Click continue, then on the description page, click continue again.
  4. Fill in your information as the authorized officer. Click continue.
  5. Fill in all your address information as appropriate. Click continue.
  6. Finish the application.

Note: This information is intended only for University of Houston student organizations. Although the information contained in this website is designed to offer general tax information, it is not a substitute for advice obtained from the Internal Revenue Service or a qualified tax professional. The information on this website is subject to change or further interpretation by the Internal Revenue Service or other tax authorities.

Please contact us if you need help with setting up a bank account.