Skip to main content

VA Educational Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or Veterans Administration (VA), administers education benefits covered under Title 10 and Title 38, U.S. Code, otherwise known as the GI Bill®. Complete the Application for VA Education Benefits online at the How to Apply link in accordance with your eligibility for the following programs.

If you have use benefits at another institution, you will need to go to and complete the Change Program and Place of Training Application (22-195) Application for VA Education Benefits if any of the following applies:

  • You are a transfer student under Chapter 33, 30, 1606 or 1607

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill ®(MGIB) – applies generally to veterans entering service on or after July 1, 1985, through Oct. 31, 2001.

Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment – If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. This program — also known as Chapter 31 or VR&E — helps you explore employment options and address education or training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill ® helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after Sep. 10, 2001. Find out if you can get this education benefit. You may be eligible for education benefits if you meet at least one of these requirements.  

Chapter 35 – applies to dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled or died of a service-connected injury or illness as a result of active duty. Complete the Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits (22-5490) online. Also use this form to apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill ® Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship for dependents of a veteran who died during active duty after Sept. 10, 2001. The applicant must select to apply for either the education benefit or the scholarship, and the choice is irrevocable. If changing majors or transferring, complete the Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-5495) online.

Chapter 33 – Transfer of Entitlement applies to eligible dependents who received a transfer of education benefits from a veteran. Application for Family Member to Use transfer Benefits.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill ® – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) – You have a 6-year service obligation (you agreed to serve six years) in the Selected Reserve, or

You’re an officer in the Selected Reserve and you agreed to serve six years in addition to your initial service obligation. Learn more about additional requirements. 

Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) – REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is an education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) and National Guard, who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.

Note: The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP on Nov. 25, 2015. Some individuals remained eligible for REAP benefits until Nov. 25, 2019, while others were no longer eligible for REAP benefits. The Post-9/11 GI Bill in many ways has replaced REAP because it also provides educational assistance benefits for Reserve and National Guard members called to active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001, and in many cases provides a greater benefit than REAP.