Applicants holding a Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited undergraduate program may request review for Advanced Standing admission. The Advanced Standing program allows BSW students to waive the foundation coursework at the GCSW, which is the equivalent of 15 semester credit hours of the 63 semester credit hour M.S.W. program. Advanced Standing students can begin in the Fall or Spring semester. Students can attend on a full-time (1 ½ year program) or part-time (2 ½ year program) basis. Forty-eight credit hours are required to complete the program. Full-time students complete the program in four semesters, including the Summer.
Applicants for Advanced Standing admission must meet all regular admissions requirements described previously, plus:
- At least one of your three references for your application must be from your faculty advisor or the chairperson of the Social Work Department where you completed your B.S.W. degree.
- You must have achieved a grade point average of 3.0 or better (4.0 scale) for the last 60 hours of academic course work AND a 3.0 for your social work major. We will calculate your GPA based on your transcripts.
Not everyone who applies for Advanced Standing will be admitted with the advanced status; the admissions committee may deny Advanced Standing but still approve admission to the regular program.
The Fall application deadline for Advanced Standing is February 1st. Application packages that are incomplete on or after March 1st will not be reviewed. The Spring application deadline for Advanced Standing is October 1st. Application packages that are incomplete on or after November 1st will not be reviewed.
An applicant whose grade point average is below 3.0 for the last 60 hours of academic work may be admitted conditionally. In addition to the requirements described previously, applicants for conditional admission must:
- Have at least a 2.6 grade point average for the last 60 hours (or 90 quarter hours) of academic work. This is a university requirement.
- Submit a written request for conditional admission review. Your request must include documentation (i.e., an official transcript) showing that you have met one of the following conditions for conditional admission:
- Completed six hours of graduate course work (outside the GCSW) and earned grades of B (3.0) or above; OR
- Have 2 years continuous paid employment in the same social service agency, working in a social work capacity, documented by a letter from a direct supervisor, and have completed 3 SCHs of graduate coursework (outside of GCSW) and earned a grade of B or above.
*Coursework taken to meet the above criteria for conditional admission may not be transferred in and applied to the M.S.W. degree.
Notes about Conditional Admission
- Students holding visas (F1 or J1) are not eligible for conditional admission at the graduate level at this university.
- Conditional admission may negatively affect your eligibility for financial aid.
- According to UH policy, students admitted conditionally must earn a minimum GPA of 3.0 on their first 12 semester credit hours of graduate work. Failure to achieve a 3.0 GPA will result in termination from the M.S.W. program.
Social Work Transfer Students
Students who transfer to the GCSW from another CSWE accredited M.S.W. program must meet all regular admissions requirements, AND submit:
- A Statement of Good Standing from the dean or director of your program
- Written evaluation of any previous field performance
- Syllabi for courses completed
A maximum of 30 semester credit hours, earned within five years of the student's enrollment at the GCSW, with grades of B or above, can be transferred for credit toward the M.S.W. degree at UH.