In order to become fully certified, students must pass the TExES content test for the level and major in which they wish to teach, as well as the TExES Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities test for the grade level they wish to teach.
Getting Certified to Teach: A Checklist for tH Students
1. TAKE THE PPR AND CONTENT QUALIFIER EXAMS AT UH
- Begin the process in CUIN 3350/3351 (K&L/Classroom Interactions).
- Log into your UTS-Online account with the UH Testing Center: http://testing.las.uh.edu. New users need to create an account.
- Select “Register for a Test/Event” and click on “TExES Qualifier: 160-PPR EC-12-Paper-based”. If you do not see this option, please contact Dr. Segura at psegura@.central.uh.edu and ask for your eligibility to be added.
- Select the date and time and confirm your registration.
- Show up early to take your exam in the Student Service Center – 2nd Floor.
- Pick up your results two days after the test date/time and report your PASSING score to your instructor(s) and Mr. Le.
- Repeat the same process for your specific content exam.
2. CREATE A TEAL ACCOUNT WITH THE STATE OF TEXAS (ECOS)
- Go to https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/ and create a username and password.
- You are an "Educator" from a "University-based" program.
- Please remember to enter your official information, and be sure to record down your TEA ID!
- Contact Dr. Segura (email@example.com) and inform her you want to be eligible to take a state exam. In email, please provide the following information: your full official name, PSID, TEAL #, DOB, UH email address, UH qualifier score, UH qualifier date, and the certification exam (PPR or Content) you would like to be eligible to take.
3. REGISTER FOR THE STATE EXAMS WITH ETS:TEXES
- Create an account with ETS, the testing company associated with state certification (SBEC), at cms.texes-ets.org/youraccount
- Sign up for a test time and date and take the exam.
- Once you pass your exam, report your score to your instructor(s) and Dr. Segura.
4. APPLY FOR STATE CERTIFICATION
- After passing both exams, you may apply for your official state certification at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/
- Go to the Main Menu and look for the tabs on the left side of the screen.
- Under the Applications tab, select Standard Texas Certificate Program
- Click on Apply for Certification.
- Select University of Houston (University Based) and click on 'Apply' after entering your information. Be sure you chose the correct campus. Otherwise you application will be delayed.
- Payment: There is a $77 application fee and a $42.25 fingerprinting fee. Payment is required in order for your certification to be processed.
Full-length interactive practice TExES exams can be found at the following website: http://cms.texes-ets.org/texes/prepmaterials/texes-preparation-manuals/interactive-practice-test/. Specific, updated preparation manuals are available here: http://cms.texes-ets.org/texes/prepmaterials/texes-preparation-manuals/. For more resources, please check in with your course instructors.