Become a Teacher
teachHOUSTON is committed to combatting the shortage of qualified math and science teachers in our country and emphasizes early and on-going field-based teaching experiences while students are working to attain a bachelor’s degree in math or science.
The program is open to undergraduate mathematics and science majors interested in secondary STEM teaching or who want to expand their professional skills. Students graduate in four years with a degree in math or science as well as teacher certification.
teachHOUSTON is changing the face of public education.
- 95% of our graduates are teaching in the greater Houston area.
- 75% of our graduates are teaching in high need schools.
- 90% of our graduates continue as public school teachers beyond two years.
- Our graduates are teaching mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology.
- Our program graduates one of the largest pools of chemistry teachers in the country (top 2% of universities nationally.)
- To train undergraduates majoring in math and/or science to become high school mathematics and/or science teachers and leaders.
- To ensure that the next generation of students will have mathematics and science teachers who inspire them to discover, to create, and to lead.
teachHOUSTON is a collaborative project of the University of Houston College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, the College of Education, and local school districts. teachHOUSTON collaborates with UTEACH partners around the country.