John F. Casey
Professor of Geology, Department Chairman, Tectonics, Geochemistry
Ph.D., 1980, Geology, State University of New York at Albany
Office: 323 SR1
Plate Tectonics, Structural Geology, Igneous Petrology, Geochemistry, Marine Geology and Geophysics, Mid-Ocean Ridges, Geology of Ophiolite Complexes, Ophiolite Emplacement, Chemostratigraphy, ICP-AES, ICP-MS.
Our group is conducting extensive tectonic investigations and geochemical analyses of basalts, glass melt inclusions, gabbroic rocks, and residual and cumulate ultramafic rocks from mid-ocean ridges including the Mid-Atlantic (14-16°N, 30-34°N, and 22-24°N), the Southwest Indian Ridge, and East Pacific Rise. Bulk rock major, trace, and rare earth element analyses are completed in our ICP-AES and ICP-MS Labs. Mineral chemistry of major and minor elements are conducted at the UH Texas Center for Super Conductivity electron microprobe facility and mineral and glass in situ analysis will be possible soon based on future aquisiiton of a laser ablation system for the ICP-MS lab. We have concentrated our efforts on documenting the variations in the nature and chemistry of primary mantle melts, the extent of melting, and pressure of melting along the ridge axis and the processes of melt generation, extraction, migration, pooling and evolution of MORB. We have a fully capable GIS and 2D/3D image processing labs where complete processing and interpretation of any type of digital imagery or gridded data sets are possible. Currently, several submersible, dredging, bathymetric and geophysical surveys of various spreading centers and transform faults in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans are being processed and mapped. This work has involved several oceanographic expeditions including submersible operations with the U.S. Alvin, Russian Mir, French Nautile, and Japanese Shinkai DSRVs and participation in Ocean Drilling Legs 153, 176, 179. and 209.
Mid-Ocean Ridge and Ophiolitic Magma Chambers
The nature, size, geometry of mid-ocean ridge and ophiolitic magma chambers and the igneous processes that take place in these magma chambers are some of the most poorly understood concepts in geology, even after extensive study within ophiolites. The onset of offset drilling withing the oceans allows more complete partial sections of oceanic plutonic complexes to be studied. Our approach in studying cumulate rocks is to understand structural and geochemical relations within drilled sections in the oceans and to directly compare these relationships with those in ophiolites, where a broader understanding is possible. Increasingly our geochemical studies of cumulate plutonic rocks are relying on understanding cryptic chemical variations on scales of cm to meters and understanding incompatible trace element distributions within these cumulates on both mesocopic and microscopic scales.
We have also conducted detailed mapping, structural analyses and geochemical work in several orogenic belts. Many are belts along which ophiolites have been emplaced. These regions include the Newfoundland Appalachians, the Taurides of Turkey, SE Alaska. We are also actively engaged more local studies in the Oachitas of Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, and the Sierra Madre Orientale in Mexico. Geochemical analyses of samples from these regions have attempted to completely characterize the tectonic setting of igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary rocks in each region. Studies of igneous rocks in ophiolites, sub-ophiolitic metamorphic rocks, and post-kinematic dikes and intrusions have also led to the conclusion that many ophiolites represent the entrapped basement to juvenile fore arcs where part of the post-entrapment magmatism can be related to ridge subduction and tectonic modifications to the forearc. In addition, magmatic rocks are commonly affected by sediment contamination that result from the underlying post-entrapment subduction. The studies of sedimentary rocks from these regions have led to development of chemostratigraphic techniques for studying basin evolution and associated changes in provenance. We are applying the chemostratigraphic techniques developed during these studies in oil industry-related provenance and correlation studies.
- Geologic Field Methods
- Structural Geology
- Plate Tectonics
- Igneous Petrogenesis and Plate Tectonics
- 1979 Nelson, K. D. and Casey, J. F., Ophiolitic detritus in the Upper Ordovician flysch of Notre Dame Bay and its bearing on the tectonic evolution of western Newfoundland: Geology, 7:27-31.
- 1979 Casey, J. F., Karson, J., O'Connell, S., and Rosencrantz, E., Comment on 'The seismic velocity structure of a traverse through the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex Newfoundland, an exposure of oceanic crust and upper mantle' by Mathew H. Salisb
- 1979 Nelson, K. D. and Casey, J. F., Ophiolitic detritus in the Upper Ordovician flysch of Notre Dame Bay and its bearing on the tectonic evolution of western Newfoundland: Geology, 7:27-31.
- 1979 Casey, J. F., Karson, J., O'Connell, S., and Rosencrantz, E., Comment on 'The seismic velocity structure of a traverse through the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex Newfoundland, an exposure of oceanic crust and upper mantle' by Mathew H. Salisbury and Nikolas I. Christensen: Journal of Geophysical Research, 84:6299-6300.
- 1981 Casey, J. F., Dewey, J. F., Fox, P. J., Karson, J. A., and Rosencrantz, E., Heterogeneous nature of the oceanic crust and upper mantle: a perspective from the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex: in The Sea, V.III, Emiliani, C., Ed., John Wiley, p. 305- 338.
- 1981 Casey, J. F. and Kidd, W.S.F., A parallochthonous group of sedimentary rocks overlying t the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex on North Arm Mountain, western Newfoundland, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 18-6: 2035-2050.
- 1981 Casey, J. F. and Karson, J. A., Magma chamber profiles from the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex: Implications for crustal-level magma chambers at mid-ocean ridges, Nature, 292:295-301.
- 1982 Casey, J. F. and Karson, J. A., ' Magma chamber profiles from the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex' -- Matters Arising - Reply. Nature, 295:717.
- 1982 Elthon, D., Casey, J.F., and Komor, S., Mineral chemistry of ultramafic cumulates from the North Arm Massif of the Bay of Islands Ophiolite: Evidence for high pressure crystal fractionation of oceanic basalts, Journal of Geophysical Research, 87: 8717-8734.
- 1983 Casey, J. F., Karson, J. A., Elthon, D., Rosencrantz, E., and Titus,M.,Reconstruction of the geometry of accretion during formation of the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex, Tectonics, 2-6:509-528.
- 1984 Elthon, D. and Casey, J. F., Comment on "Soret separation of mid-ocean ridge basalt magma" by D. Walker and S. E. Delong. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 85:197-202.
- 1984 Casey, J. F., and Dewey, J. F., Initiation of subduction zones along transform and accreting plate boundaries, triple junction evolution and forearc spreading centers: implications for ophiolite geology and obduction. In: Ophiolites and Oceanic Lithosphere, I.G. Gass, S.J. Lippard, and A.W. Shelton (editors), Blackwell, London, pp. 83-97.
- 1984 Elthon, D, Casey, J.F., and Komor, S., Cryptic mineral chemistry variations in a detailed traverse through the cumulate ultramafic rocks of the North Arm Mountain massif of the Bay of Islands Ophiolite, Newfoundland. In: Ophiolites and Oceanic Lithosphere, I.G. Gass, S.J. Lippard and A.W. Shelton (editors), Blackwell, London, pp.269-290.
- 1984 OTTER (Oceanographer Tectonic Research Team), The Geology of the Oceanographer Transform: the ridge-transform intersection. Marine Geophysical Research, 6:109-141.
- 1984 Karson, J. A., Collins, J. A., and Casey, J. F., Geologic and seismic structure of the crust mantle transition in the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex. Journal of Geophysical Research. 89-B7:6126-6138.
- 1984 Ghosh, N., Hall, S., and Casey, J. F., Seafloor spreading magnetic anomalies in the Venezuelan Basin. G.S.A. Memoir 162, The Caribbean-South American Plate Boundary and Regional Tectonics, edited by W.E. Bonnini, R.B. Hargraves, and R.Shagam, pp. 65- 79.
- 1984 Karson, J. A., Casey, J. F., Elthon, D.L., and Titus, M., Deformed and metamorphosed rock assemblages recognized in the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex. Ofioliti, 9 (3):463-486.
- 1984 Ashabranner, D. E. and Casey, J. F., Computer modeling of complex seismic structures at mid-ocean ridges. Annual Report of the Allied Geophysical Lab, University of Houston, 14:492-509
- 1985 Elthon, D. and Casey, J. F., The very depleted nature of certain primary mid-ocean ridge basalts. Geochemica et Cosmochemica Acta, 49-1:289-298.
- 1985 Ashabranner, D. E., and Casey, J. F., Analysis of seismic structure at fast spreading centers using ophiolite-derived geologic models of accretion. Annual Report of the Allied Geophysical Lab, University of Houston, 15:44-60.
- 1985 Siroky, F., Elthon, D., Casey, J. F., and Butler, J., Modeling of crystal fractionation processes in diabases and basalts from the North Arm massif of the Bay of Islands Complex, Newfoundland. Tectonophysics, 116: 41-61.
- 1985 Komor, S., Elthon, D. and Casey, J. F., Cryptic variations in layered cumulate ultramafic rocks of the North Arm massif, Bay of Islands Ophiolite, Newfoundland: characteristics of magmatic processes in the lower portions of mid-ocean ridge magma chambers. Journal of Geophysical Research, 90:7705-7736.
- 1985 Casey, J. F., Elthon, D., Siroky, F. X., Karson, J.A., and Sullivan, J., Geochemical and geological evidence bearing on the origin of the Bay of Islands and Coastal Complex ophiolites of western Newfoundland. Tectonophysics, 116:1-40.
- 1985 Komor, S.C., Elthon, D.E., and Casey, J. F., Serpentinization of cumulate ultramafic rocks from the North Arm Mountain massif of the Bay of Islands ophiolite. Geochemica et Cosmochemica Acta, 49:2331-2338.
- 1985 OTTER (Oceanographer Tectonic Research Team), The geology of the Oceanographer Transform: the transform domain. Marine Geophysical Research, 7:329-358.
- 1985 Ashabranner, D. and Casey, J.F., Further computer modeling of the seismic structure of fast spreading centers using ophiolite-derived geologic models of accretion. Annual Report of the Allied Geophysical Lab, 16:207-229.
- 1986 Hall, S. Casey, J. F., and Elthon, D., A possible explanation of gravity anomalies over mid-ocean ridges. Journal of Geophysical Research, 91:3724-3738.
- 1986 Elthon, D., Karson, J.A., Casey, J. F., Sullivan, J., and Siroky, F.X., Geochemistry of diabase dikes from the Lewis Hills massif, the Bay of Islands Ophiolite: evidence for partial melting of oceanic crust in transform faults. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 78:89-103.
- 1987 Komor, S. C., Elthon, D. Casey, J. F., Petrology of a leucogabbroic interval within basal layered gabbros at North Arm Mountain, Bay of Islands Ophiolite. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, 95:278-300.
- 1987 Karson, J. A., G. Thompson, S. E. Humphris, J. M. Edmond, W. B. Bryan, J. R. Brown, A. T. Winters, R. A. Pockalny, J. F. Casey, A. C. Campbell, G. Klinkhammer, M. R. Palmer, R. J. Kinzler, and M. M. Sulanowska, Along-axis variations in seafloor spreading in the MARK area, Nature, 328, 681-685.
- 1988 Campbell. A.C., Palmer, M.R. Klinkhammer, G.P., Bowers, T.S., Edmond, J.M., Casey, J.F., Lawrence, J.R., Thompson, G., Humphris, S., Rona, P., Karson, J.A., Chemistry of hot springs on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge: TAG and MARK Sites, Nature, 335:514-519
- 1989 Lindholm, R. and Casey, J. F., Regional tectonic significance of the Blow Me Down Brook Sandstone: new fossil evidence of an early Cambrian age. Geological Society of America Bulletin, 101: 1-13.
- 1990 Beauboeuf, R., Casey, J.F., Hall, S.A., Evans, I., A paleomagnetic investigation of the Lower Ordovician St. George Group, Port au Port Peninsula, Newfoundland: Evidence for a late Paleozoic remagnetization and implications for the Iapetus Ocean, Tectonophysics 182:337-356.
- 1990 Lindholm R. and Casey, J.F., The distribution and biostratigraphic significance of the ichnogeneus Oldhamia and other trace fossils in the shales of the Blow Me Down Brook Formation, western Newfoundland, Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 27:1270-1287 .
- 1991 Bird, D. E., Hall, S. A., Casey, J. F., and Millegan, P. S., 1991, Integrated geophysical interpretation of the Grenada Basin: in, Expanded Abstracts of the Technical Program, SEG 61st Annual International Meeting and Exposition, 172-175.
- 1991 Jonas, J., Hall, S.A., Casey, J.F., Gravity anomalies over extinct mid-ocean ridge spreading centers, Journal of Geophysical Research, 91:3724-3738.
- 1991 Casey, J.F. and Dmitriev, L., Ridge Activities of the Soviet Union, Ridge Newsletter.
- 1991 Silantyev, S.A, Makakjan, R., Zlobin, S.K., Gurenko, A.A., Basylev, B., Koshkin, A.V., Tsamerjan, O.P., Bogdanovski, O.G., Klitgord, K., Casey, J.F., Bryan,W., Agar, S. New data on the construction of the oceanic crust in the Central Atlantic, 30°-34°N, Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences 317(6);1443-1446.
- 1991 Klitgord, K., Casey, J.F., Silnatyev, S. Bryan, W., Agar, S, 16 Cruise of the R/V Boris Petrov (Leg 1), U.S. Soviet Collaborative Geological and Geophysical Survey of the Mid- Atlantic Ridge between 30-34°N, U.S. Geological Survey Open File Report, 91-120: 1-21.
- 1992 Casey, J.F., Cannat, M, Bougault, H. Mid-Atlantic Ridge Survey Opens New Windows to Offset Drilling, JOI USSAC Newsletter, p 1-4
- 1992 Silantyev, S.A, Basylev, B., Klitgord, K., Casey, J.F., Kuz'min, M., Lomakin, I.E., Sborshchikov, I. Composition of Layer Three of the Oceanic Crust, North Atlantic, 40°- 51°N.Russian Academy of Sciences, 12:1415-1436.
- 1993 Lytwyn, J. and Casey, J.F., The geochemistry and petrogenesis of volcanics and sheeted dikes in the Hatay (Kizildag) Ophiolite, southern Turkey: possible formation with the Troodos Ophiolite, Cyprus along fore-arc spreading centers, Tectonophysics 223: 237-272
- 1993 Bird, D., Hall, S., Casey, J.F. and Millegan, P.S., Interpretation of Magnetic Anomalies over the Grenada Basin, Tectonics, 12:1267-1279.
- 1994 Bryan, W., Humphris,S., Thompson, G., Casey, J.F., Comparative Volcanology of Small Axial Eruptive Centers in the MARK Area. Journal of Geophysical Research 99:3013-3029
- 1995 Leg 153 Shipboard Scientific Party, Probing the Foundation of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, EOS, 76-13: 129-133.
- 1995 Leg 153 Shipboard Scientific Party, Initial Reports of the Ocean Drilling Project. Leg 153, p 1-520 (Book)
- 1995 Cannat, M. and Casey, J.F. An Ultramafic Lift at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge: Successive Stages of Magmatism in Serpentinized Peridotites from the 15°N region, in: Vissers and Nicholas, A. (Eds.)., Mantle and Lower Crust Exposed in Oceanic Ridges and ophiolites, Kluwer Academic Publications, p. 5-34.
- 1995 Lytwin, J. and Casey, J.F., The geochemistry and petrogenesis of post-kinematic mafic dike swarms and metamorphic sole amphibolites, Pozanti-Karsanti ophiolite, Turkey: Evidence for Ridge Subduction, Geological Society of America Bulletin, 107:830-850
- 1995 Polat, A. and Casey, J. F. Neotethyan Aladag accretionary complex: a structural record of the emplacement of the Pozanti Karsant Ophiolite on to the Menderes-Taurus Block, eastern Taurides, Turkey, Journal of Structural Geology , 17(12):1673-1688.
- 1995 Silantyev, S., Casey, J.F. and Smith, S.E., Composition and metamorphic conditions of rocks from Layer 3 of the oceanic crust in the offset portion of the Hayes Fracture Zone, Central Atlantic, Petrology, 3:424-439
- 1996 Silantyev, S., L. Dmitriev, L.V., Levsky, Lk, Casey, J.F., Basilev, B.A., Bougault, H., Residual Peridotites from the 15°20' Fracture Zone, Mid-Atlantic Ridge-A possible analogue for ancient metasomatixed mantle below St Paul's Rock in: Udinsev, G.B. ed., Eqautorial Segment of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, IOC Technical Series no. 46, Unesco, p. 95- 98.
- 1996 Polat, A., Casey, J.F., and Kerrich, R, Geochemical characteristics of accreted material beneath the Pozanti-Karsanti ophiolite, Turley: Intra-oceanic detachment, assembly, and obduction, Tectonophysics, 263:249-276.
- 1996 Perfit, M.R., Fornari, D., Ridley, W.I., Kirk, P., Casey, J.F., Kasetns, K.A., Reynolds, J.R., Edwards, M., Desonie, , D., Shuster, R., and Paradis, S., Recent volcanism in the Siqueiros Transform Fault:Picritic Basalts and Implications for MORB magma genesis, Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 141:91-108.
- 1996 Polat, A., Kerrich, R. and Casey, J.F., Geochemistry of Quaternary basalts erupted along the East Anatolian and Dead Sea fault zones of southern Turkey: Implications for mantle sources, Lithos 517, 1-13.
- 1996 Silantyev, S., L. Dmitriev, L.V., Casey, J.F., Basilev, B.A., Bougault, H., Levsky, Lk., An examination of genetic conformity between co-existing basalt, gabbro, and residual peridotites from 15°20'N Fracture Zone, Central Atlantic: Evidence from Isotope Compositions of Sr, Nd, and Pb. InterRidge Newsletter, 4(2), p18-21.
- 1997 Cannat, M., Gabrielle, Y, Bougault, H. Casey, J., de Coutures, N., Dmitriev, L., Fouquet, Y., Ultramafic and gabbroic exposures at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge: Geological mapping in the 15°N region, Tectonophysics 279:193-213.
- 1997 Casey, J. F., Comparison of major, trace, and rare earth element geochemistry of Leg 153 abyssal peridotites and mafic plutonic rocks with basalts from the MARK region of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, in Karson, J., Cannat, M., Miller, J and Elthon, (Eds).; Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Project, Scientific Results, Vol 153, p181-241.
- 1997 Kempton, P and Casey, J.F., Petrology and geochemistry of cross-cutting diabase dikes, Sites 920 and 921, ODP Leg 153, in Karson, J., Cannat, M., Miller, J., and Elthon, (Eds).; Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Project, Scientific Results, Vol 153, p363-377.
- 1997 Agar, S., Casey, J.F., and Kempton, P., Textural, Geochemical, and Isotopic Variations in Gabbroic Shear Zones From the MARK Area: in Karson, J., Cannat, M., Miller, J., and Elthon, (Eds). (Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Project, Scientific Results, Vol. 153, p99-121.
- 1997 Lytwin, J, Casey, J.F., Gilbert, S., and Kusky, T., Arc-like MORB formed seaward of a trench-forearc system during ridge subduction: an example from sub-accreted ophiolites in Southern Alaska, Journal of Geophysical Research 102:10,225-10,243.
- 1998 Casey, J.F., Pettigrew, T.J., Miller, F.J., Leg 179 Prliminary Report: Ocean Drilling Program, No. 79:1-28 (http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications).
- 1998 Smith. S.E., Casey, J.F. Bryan, W.B., Dmitriev, L., Silantyev, S., and Magakyan, R, Geochemistry of basalts from the Hayes Transform region of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge., Journal of Geophysical Research.
- 1998 Bird, D. E., Hall, S. A., Casey, J. F., and Millegan, P. S., in press, Interpretation of magnetic data at low latitudes: potential pitfall: in, Millegan, P. S., and Gibson, R. I. (Editors), Geologic Applications of Gravity and Magnetics: Case Histories: AAPG Studies in Geology, No. 43 / SEG Geophysical Reference Series, No. 8, 53-57.
- 1998 Casey, J.F., Miller, J. and Leg 179 Scientific Party, Leg 179: Hole 1105A and NERO Hole 1107A, JOIDES Journal, 24:15-18.
- 1998 Matsumoto, T, Kelemen, P., Casey, J.F., Braun, M.G., Fujiwara, F.,Joshima, M. Takeuchi, A, and Ceuleneer, G, Precise geological and geophyscal mapping on both sides of the 15°20'N fracture Zone on the MAR - tectonic extension and its consequent exposure of ultramafic and plutonic rocks along the magma-poor ridge axis (Mode98 Leg 1 Cruise), InterRidge, V7, no.2, p13-17.
- 1999 Bird, D. E., Hall, S. A., Casey, J. F., and Millegan, P. S., Tectonic evolution of the Grenada Basin: in, Mann, P. (Editor), Caribbean Sedimentary Basins: Elsevier Science B. V., Amsterdam, 387-414.
- 1999 Pettigrew, T.L., Casey, J.F., Miller, D.J., et al., 1999. Proc. ODP, Init. Repts., 179 [CD- ROM]. Available from: Ocean Drilling Program, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77845-9547, U.S.A.
- 1999 Casey, J.F., Pettigrew, T.J., Miller, F.J., Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Project, Initial Reports Volume, 179 1-183 p. (Book, CD-Rom, http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications).
- 1999 Casey, J.F., Pettigrew, T.J., Miller, F.J, and Shipboard Scientific Party, Leg 179 Summary of Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Project, Initial Reports Volume 179, Texas A&M University, College Station (ocean Drilling Program), 1-26.
- 2000 Casey, J.F., Miller, J., and Leg 179 Shipboard Scientific Party Leg 179, Hole 1105A and NERO Hole 1107A. JOIDES J., 24:15-18.
- 2000 Pettigrew, T.L., Casey, J.F., Miller, D.J., et al., 1999. Proc. ODP, Init. Repts., 179 [Online].
- 2000 Fujiwara, F., Matsumoto, T., Kelemen, P., Casey, J.F., Braun, M.G., Joshima, M. Takeuchi, A, and Ceuleneer, G, Underway Geophysical Results from the Mode 98 Cruise to the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 14-16°N, Bulletin of Deep-sea Research (JAMSTEC)
- 2000 Lytwin, J., Casey, J.F., Gilbert, S. and Kusky, T.,geochemistry of near-trench intrusives associated with ridge subduction, Seldovia Quadrangle, southern Alaska. Journal of Geophysical Research 105:2:27,957-27,979.
- 2001 Smith Nagihara, S., and Casey, J.F., Whole-rock geochemistry of amphibolites and metagabbros from the west Iberia margin, Leg 173. In Beslier, M.-O., Whitmarsh, R.B., Wallace, P.J., and Girardeau, J. (Eds.), Proc. ODP, Sci. Results, 173 [Online].
- 2002 Casey, J.F., and Miller, D.J. (Eds.), in press. Proc. ODP, Sci. Results, 179 [Online]. Available from World Wide Web: http://www.odp.tamu.edu/publications/179_SR/179sr.htm.
- 2003 Casey, J.F., and Miller, D.J. (Eds.), in press. Proc. ODP, Sci. Results, 179 [CD-ROM]. Available from: Ocean Drilling Program, Texas A&M University, College Station TX
- 2003 Fujiwara, T, Lin, J., Matsumoto, T., kelemen, P.B., Tucholke, B.E. and Casey, J. 2003. Crustal evolution of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge near the 15°20 Fracture Zone in the last 5Ma. G-Cube:4:10:1029/2002/GC000364
- 2003 Carman, M. , Stewart, R. and Casey, J. Characterization of the Alamo Creek Basalts, Big Bend National Park, Texas. Texas Journal of Sciences.
- 2003 Shipboard Scientific Party,. Leg 209 Preliminary Report. ODP Prelim. Rpt., 109 [Online]. Available from World Wide Web:p1-98
- 2003 Kelemen, P.B., Kikawa, E., Miller, D.J., et al., in press. Proc. ODP, Init. Repts., 209 [CD- ROM]. Available from: Ocean Drilling Program, Texas A&M University, College Station TX 77845-9547, USA.
- 2004 Kelemen, P.B., Kikawa, E., Miller, D.J., et al., in press. Proc. ODP, Init. Repts., 209 [Online].
- 2005 Bird, D,, Burke, K., Hall, S.A., Casey, J.F. Gulf of Mexico Tectonic Historym Hot Spot Tracks, Crustal Boundaries and Early Salt Distribution, AAPG Bulletin, 89:311-328
- 2005 Silantyev, S., Casey, J.F., Cherkashin, D., Kostitsyn, J. Dosso, L., Karpenko, S., Granites in the Oceanic Lithosphere: Their Origin and Geodymamic Setting InterRidge, 14:22-25
Masters Theses and Doctoral Dissertations Supervised
Masters Theses Supervised (Principal Advisor)
- 1984 Titus, Marshall W.(Basin Modeling Instructor, Platte River Associates, Inc)*The Petrologic Definition of the Oceanic Moho: Evidence from the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex, Newfoundland, Canada.
- 1986 Ashabranner, Donald E.(Exploration Geophysicist, Phillips Petroleum) A 2D Phase-Shift Migration Algorithm for Laterally Varying Velocity Fields and an Analysis of Ophiolite-Derived Models of Accretion.
- 1987 Dillman, George (Exploration Geologist, Pogo Petroleum), Structural Geology and Tectonics of the ParasBasin, North of Saltillo, Mexico.
- 1987 Brink Ronald (Environmental Geologist, NY State Power and Light Co) Microstructual Study Ultramafic Rocks From The North Arm Mountain Massif, Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex, Western Newfoundland.
- 1988 Lane, Richard. (Exploration Vice President, Southwestern Energy) Mineralogy and Stable Isotope Geochemistry of Serpentized Ultramafic Rocks from the Bay of Islands Ophiolite Complex:Implications for the Oceanic Moho.
- 1988 Xia, Chunshu. (Sr. Exploration Geologist, Exxon Exploration) , A Microstructural Study of Mantle Peridotites from the Mid-Atlantic Ridge near 23oN.
- 1989 Kharas, Nazneen, Geologist, Geochemistry and Petrology of the Gabbroic Rocks from Blow Me Down Mountain, Bay of Islands Complex: Composition of the Parent Magmas and Melts in equilibrium with Gabbroic Cumulates
- 1989 Beaubouef, Richard T.(Sequence Statigraphy Asvisor, Exxon Exploration) Paleomagnetism of the Lower St. George Group, and Humber Arm Subophiolitic Volcanics of Western Newfoundland: Implications forthe Iapetus Ocean.
- 1989 Meaux, David (Geophysicist - AVO Geophysics) Geology and Geochemistry of Subophiolitic Volcanic Rocks in the Arm Allochthon, Western Newfoundland, Canada.
- 1992 Judeman, Mark (Sr. Exploration Geologist, Shell Oil, USA) Tectonic Evolution of the Permian Basin, West Texas
- 1992 Pollat, Ali (Assistant Professor, Windsor University) Structural and geochemical evolution of the Aladag melange complex and greenschist division of the dynamothermal metamorphic sole beneath the Karsanti-Pozanti Ophiolite
- 1992 Wang, Jack (Exploration Geologist, Saudi Aramco), Tectonic and geochemical evolution of the metamorphic sole beneath the Bay of Islands Ophiolite: Implications for tectonic models of obduction.
- 1994 Miliken, Michael (Exploration Geologist, BP-Trinidad Exploration), Correlation and Depositional Environment By Major and Trace Element Analyses of Cores DB-01 and DB-O2, Northwest Shelf of the Delaware Basin, Culberson County, Texas
- 1994 Doug Reid (Exploration Geologist, Tenneco Gas) Geochemical and Petrographic Analysis of Formations Within and Surrounding the Broken Bow Uplift, Southeastern Oklahoma
- 1996 Vadim Golod (Computing Geologist, BP Exploration) , Multibeam Bathymetry Surveys in the Eqautorial Atlantic (1°N-9°N)
- 1999 William Beck (Geophysicist ' Connoco-Phillips Petroleum) Extensional Styles of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
- 2001 Yaoyang Yan (GIS Lab Coordinator, Southern Fla. University) Morphotectonic and Geochemical Characteristics of the Siqueiros Transform, East Pacific Rise
Ph.D. Dissertations Supervised (Principal Advisor)
- 1988 Savci, Gultekin (Environmental Geologist and President, Savci Environmental) Structural and Metamorphic Geology of the Subophiolitic Dynamothermal Metamorphic Sole and Peridotite Tectonites, Blow Me-Down Massif, Newfoundland, Canada: Tectonic Implications for Subduction and Obduction.
- 1990 Lindholm, Rossanne (Sr. Exploration Geologist, Exxon Production and Research) Regional Correlation, Age, Provenance and Tectonic Significance of Sandstone-Shale Sequences in the Humber Arm Allochthon,Western Newfoundland.
- 1992 Everett Rutherford (Consulting Geologist) Alteration of Oceanic Crust and Tectonic Evolution of the Hatay Ophiolite , Turkey
- 1992 Rick Beaubouef (Sequence Stratigraphy Advisor, Exxon Production and Research) Application of paleomagnetic techniques to remagnetization of oceanic pillow basalts and Paleozoic and Mesozoic sedimentary rocks.
- 1993 Jennifer Lytwyn (Lecturer, U. of Houston), Geochemistry and Petrogenesis of Forearc Volcanics and Intrusives Associated with Ridge Subduction: Examples from the Pozanti- Karsanti and Hatay Ophiolites, Southern Turkey anfd the Chugach- Prince William Terrane, Southern Alaska
- 1994 Susan Smith (GIS Specialist, City of Lubbock, TX ) Geochemistry and Petrology of Basaltic and Plutonic Rocks From the Hayes Transform Region, Mid-Atlantic Ridge
- 1995 Chunshou Xia (Exploration Geologist, Exxon Exploration) Geochemical Variations, Source Characterization, Mantle Melting and Magmatic Processes at the 15°20N Fracture Zone, Mid-Atlantic Ridge
- 2000 Zhongping Guo(GIS Natural Resource Analyst-ESRI, Redland, California). The Geochemical Structure of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge Axis from Iceland to Bouvet, A GIS Approach.
- 2001 Harding , Chris (Assistant Professor of Geology - Iowa State University), Multisensory Investigations of Geoscientific Data: Adding Touch and Sound to 3D Visualization.