Frequently Asked Questions - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

I cannot find the major “Computer Science.”

We are listed under the College of Natural Science and Mathematics.

Do you have an evening, online, or weekend program?


Can the GRE be waived?

No, GRE scores are always required for admission to the Computer Science department.

Is there a minimum GRE score required for admission?

While no minimum GRE scores are used to exclude students, ours is a competitive application.  In general, the department expects a GRE (verbal + quantitative) 305 although for applicants with very strong transcripts or research experience a few points lower can be competitive. More emphasis is placed on quantitative scores due to the high Math content of computer science.  The analytical score is also considered.

Is there a minimum TOEFL/IELTS score required for admission?

The University sets the minimum score for the English test required by most International students: TOEFL paper (550) with ‘writing’ subscore 55 , internet-based (79) with ‘writing’ subscore 20, or the IELTS (6.5) with writing subscore 6.5.

Do you have part-time students?

Yes, anyone not on an F-1 or J-1 visa (required to be full-time) can be a part-time student. If you plan to attend while employed, please note that we do not have an online degree program, or an evening or weekend program. Our degree requires that you be able to take at least some classes in the morning or afternoon. Our classes are scheduled either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday, so you would only need two days flexible each semester.

Do you have conditional admissions?

Conditional admission can be granted under certain, rare circumstances to U.S. students and permanent residents.  Conditional admission can not be granted to international students due to the rules imposed by the Department of Homeland Security.

How long must U.S. citizens, permanent residents and H-Visa students be in Texas for in-state tuition waiver?

How long do I have to live in Texas to qualify for in-state tuition?

To qualify for in-state rates, you must be in the state of Texas for 12 consecutive months before beginning school. Exceptions should contact the residency coordinator in the Office of the Registrar,

My bachelor's degree is not in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Information Technology. Can I still apply for the graduate program?

Yes. If your bachelor’s degree is not in the computer science, computer engineering, or the information technology field, then you will probably need prerequisites. Please visit the Programs/Prerequisite page to see the list of prerequisite courses enforced by the department.

For U.S. citizens, permanent residents and people with H-1 or H-4 visa, it is often beneficial to you to enroll as an undergraduate (post-baccalaureate or 'PB') student to finish your prerequisites, before applying to the master's or Ph.D. program. This prevents them from counting against the five-year limit or the graduate GPA. It also gives you the chance to experience computer science classes before committing to a graduate program. You usually must have Calculus I, Calculus II, and be proficient in an object oriented programming language to apply as part-time student.  You must also have completed Data Structures to apply as a full-time student (otherwise there are not 3 classes in which you can enroll).

I am already a graduate student at the University of XYZ in the United States. How can I transfer to UH?

There is no separate application for graduate transfer students. You will use the same application and submit the same documents as a new applicant.

How many credits can I transfer from the University of XYZ to UH?

Master's students transferring from another master's program have a limit on transfer credit of 2 classes (6 hours). The classes must be Computer Science graduate level regular lecture classes and have a 'B' or better grade. Transfer credit is decided during the second semester of attendance.

I have been accepted to the graduate program in the Department of Computer Science. Can I defer the admission to another semester?

We do not defer an admit, a decision is good for one semester only.  To update an application to a new semester you must reapply online and pay a new fee (if International). If the first decision was made with unofficial test scores or an incomplete transcript, the missing information will be required for the new decision.