The University of Houston relies on a talented creative team to tell its story. Whether it’s spotlighting successful students or showcasing cutting edge research, the Division of University Marketing, Communication and Media Relations is on the front lines when it comes to sharing news and information about UH and its accomplishments.
This year, division team members were acknowledged by noted professional associations including the International Association of Business Communicators, American Marketing Association, Public Relations Society of America, Houston Press Club and Council for Advancement and Support of Education.
In addition to earning awards, the division also helped propel UH into national prominence as a social media-enhanced university. The University is ranked 10th in the nation among the “Most Influential Colleges on Google+.” It also was listed among seven national finalists that competed for the Shorty Award – recognizing a Barnes & Noble college that drives student engagement using social media. And recently, UH ranked 10th in the Forbes #MyTopCollege social media campaign.
A list of awards is as follows:
International Association of Business Communicators Bronze Quill Awards
- Technical Writing – Lisa Merkl, senior media relations specialist:
Award of Excellence: “Discoveries in How Memories Form Could Help Treat Dementia”
American Marketing Association – Crystal Awards
- Internal Communications Program (non-profit) – UH Marketing and Communication and Division of Student Affairs
Crystal Award: CougarSafe
- Online Social Media Campaign (non-profit) – UH Social Media
- Maverick Marketing B2C – UH Social Media
Public Relations Society of America – Excalibur Awards
- News Release – Lisa Merkl, senior media relations specialist:
Silver: “Do Fruit Flies Hold the Key to Treating Dementia?”
Houston Press Club – Lone Star Awards
- Press Release – Mike Emery, assistant director of media relations:
First place: “UH Students Designing Customized Electric Guitars for Rock, Jazz, Blues Artists”
Second place: “Alum’s Gift Keeps Patsy Swayze’s Passion for Dancing Alive at UH”
- Public Relations Communicator of the Year - Mike Emery, assistant director of media relations:
- Public Relations Communicator of the Year – Lisa Merkl, senior media relations specialist:
Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- Radio/Public Service Announcement – Marisa Ramirez, senior media relations specialist:
Gold: “UH Moment”
- Medical/Scientific Writing Collection – Lisa Merkl, senior media relations specialist
Silver: “Finding Alzheimer’s and Dementia Treatments, Role of BRCA in Breast Cancer Among Goals of Research”
“We are honored to be recognized by these prestigious local, national and international organizations,” said Richie C. Hunter, vice president for University Marketing, Communication and Media Relations. “The awards are a direct reflection of our long-standing commitment to excellence and a testament to this talented team.”
The Division of Marketing, Communication and Media Relations advances the goals of the university by strengthening awareness, engagement and support among UH constituents. The division leads UH’s execution of marketing and communication strategies and maximizes positive external media coverage for the University. The division also produces online and printed newsletters aimed at faculty and staff. To learn more about the Division of Marketing, Communication and Media Relations, visit its website.