Department of Sociology
450 Philip Hoffman Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3012
Phone: (713) 743-3940
Fax: (713) 743-3943
Russell L. Curtis, Jr.
Ph.D., Sociology, University of North Carolina
M.A., Sociology, Kent State University
B.A., Sociology, West Virginia University
- Organizations (human service organizations, including criminal justice settings, schools and other educational organizations; commitment mechanisms in social movements)
- Social movements and collective behavior
- Social psychology (identity transformations especially in organizational
settings; self-image; models of motivation)
- Socialization (identity acquisition and transformation in organizations and throughout the the life-cycle)
- Sociology of sport (contexts of individual and organizational sport activities)
- Alcoholism, Addiction, and Recovery
- Introduction to Sociology
- Social Movements and Collective Behavior
- Sociology of Sports
- Graduate Seminar in Formal Organizations
- Graduate Seminar in Social Psychology
- Leung, Patrick, Russell L. Curtis, Jr., Susan Mapp. 2010. “Incidences of Sexual Contacts of Children: Impacts of Family Characteristics and Family Structure from a National Sample.” Children and Youth Services Review 32(5): 650-656.
- Avelardo Valdez, Charles Kaplan, and Russell L. Curtis, Jr. 2007. “Aggressive Crime, Substance Use and Underclass Characteristics in 24 United States Urban Areas: A Multi-Level Analysis.” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 33(4): 595-603.
- Demetrius W. Pearson, Russell L. Curtis, Jr., C. Allen Haney, and James J. Zhang. 2003. “Sport Films: Social Dimensions Over Time, 1930-1995.” Journal of Sport and Social Issues 27(2): 145-161.
- Eschbach,Karl., Russell L. Curtis, Jr. and Patrick Leung. 2002. “Explorations of Types of Prepubertal Touching and Later Incarcerations: A Research Note in Response to Ryan.” Child Abuse and Neglect 26(1): 5-10.
- Curtis, Russell L. Jr., Patrick Leung, E. Sullivan, Karl Eschbach, and M. Stinson. 2001. “Outcomes of Child Sexual contacts: Patterns of Incarcerations from a National Sample.” Child Abuse: and Neglect 25: 719-736.
- Pearson, Demetrius, C. Allen Haney, Rusell L. Curtis, Jr. and James J. Zhang. 2001. “Social Change and Sport Films: Shifts in Content Across Cultural Eras 1930-1998.” International Sports Journal 5(2): 136-152.
- American Sociological Association
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
- Southwestern Social Science and Sociological Associations
- Southern Sociological Association