Department of History
The University of Houston
524 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3003
Faculty and Staff
Robert C. Palmer
Cullen Professor of History and Law
- Phone: (713) 743-3089
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: 554 Agnes Arnold Hall
Dr. Palmer teaches courses including American Legal History, Readings in American Legal History, Research in American Legal History, English Legal History, Early European Historiography and Constitutional history of Late Medieval England and France.
Dr. Palmer is the author of five books and nineteen scholarly articles. He is currently doing research on the analysis of the different legal regimes in England from 1150 to 1610. He is the administrator and developer of the AALT (the Anglo-American Legal Tradition website) and the WAALT (the wiki for the AALT), sites that provide research resources for historians of England between the years 1200 and 1800.
- Selling the Church: The English Parish in Law, Commerce, and Religion, 1350-1550, University of North Carolina Press (American Society for Legal History Series, 2002).
- English Law in the Age of the Black Death, 1348-1381: A Transformation of Governance and Law, University of North Carolina Press (American Society for Legal history Series, 1993).
- Liberty and Community: Constitution and Rights in the Early American Republic, co-authored with William Nelson, with an introduction by Frederick Schauer. Institute of Bill of Rights Law monograph Series (1987 and the New York University School of Law Linden Studies in Legal History (1987).
- The Whilton Dispute, 1264-1380: A Social-Legal Study of Dispute Settlement in Medieval England (Princeton University Press, 1984).
- The County Courts of Medieval England, 1150-1350 (Princeton University Press, 1982).