University of Houston
4800 Calhoun Rd.
Houston, TX 77204
News and Events
Second Reading Group
Monday, February 24, 2014
Roy G. Cullen 230b
This week's readings are paired with Fred Gibb's lecture on 2/28:
- Drucker, Johanna. “Humanities Approaches to Graphical Display” 5, no. 1 (2011). http://
- Gibbs, Fred. "Thinking Big about Medieval Data." fredgibbs.net, March 1, 2013. http://fredgibbs.net/
DH Lecture Series
Friday, January 31st
"Network Effects in Romantic Poetry: What We Can Learn from Digital Humanities"
Agnes Arnold 106
Friday, February 28th
"Processes and Products in the Digital Humanities"
Agnes Arnold 106
DH Lectures generously funded by the El Paso Corporation Lecture Series
1st Inaugural Texas Digital Humanities Conference
See website here for more information: http://txdhc.org
Third Reading GroupNovember 18th, 4:00 AH 512
(Note that due to Thanksgiving holiday we are meeting a week earlier than usual)
- Rosenbloom: Towards a Conceptual Framework for the Digital Humanities
In the neighborhood: Upcoming Digital Humanities talks at Rice
Friday, November 1
Joseph Viscomi, James G. Kenan Distinguished Professor of English, UNC-Chapel Hill
"Enlightened Graphics: Blake and the New Technologies"
Founder's Room, Lovett Hall
Friday, November 8, 2:00pm
Jerome McGann, John Stewart Bryan University Professor of English at the University of Virginia
"Title Page as Interface and Metadata, with an Example from Cooper"
117 Humanities Building
"The Emerging Research Environment & the Digital Public Library of America"
Kyle Morrow Room, 3rd Floor Fondren Library
DH Reading Group, Monday 10/28, 4:00-5:00 | Agnes Arnold 512. We will be discussing:
- The End of the Irrelevant Text: Electronic Texts, Linguistics, and Literary Theory
- The Machine in the Text and the Text in the Machine - Manuel Portela
(Mark your calendars: the next reading group will be Monday, November 18 at 4:00 PM. All readings this year will be available online.)
DH Reading Group, Monday 9/30, 4:00-5:00 | Agnes Arnold 512. We will be discussing:
- The Digital Future is Now: A Call to Action for the Humanities - Christine Borgman
Cameron Buckner (Houston)
Friday, October 4, 1:00-3:00 PM
Fall 2013-Spring 2014 speakers will be announced shortly.
Previous Speakers (Fall 2012-Spring 2013)
Andrew Torget (UNT)
David Bourget (Western Ontario)
Matthew Gold (CUNY)