The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) is the heart of the University, dedicated to spurring intellectual curiosity, creativity, and transformative education. Encompassing humanities, social sciences, and health sciences, CLASS is truly a mosaic of disciplines that broaden perspectives, inspire potential, and advance possibilities yet unimagined.
Innovative UH Hispanic literary heritage project earns third Mellon grant
Digital Technology Can Assist Toddlers with Problem Solving
Why are Women Opting Out of Marriage Around the World?
CLASS researchers win $193,750 R21 grant from National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders
CLASS researchers partner with former athlete in bounce reduction study
Wang collaborating with Penn scholars on global climate change, child welfare study
Feb 01 4:00 pm
Exploring Graduate School Opportunities Webinar
At the Exploring Graduate School Opportunities webinar led by Dr. Susan Scarrow, associate dean of graduate studies, learn about the graduate program opportunities available in CLASS, how to write a competitive graduate school application and so much more.
Feb 02 11:30 am
CLASS Undergraduate Research Day
This showcase introduces resources for conducting research as an undergraduate and spotlights past CLASS undergraduate research projects.
Feb 02 5:30 pm
Sisters In The Mirror: A History of Muslim Women and The Politics of Feminism
Please join the Arab-American Educational Foundation Center for Arab Studies at the University of Houston for a book launch and discussion of
Sisters In The Mirror: A History of Muslim Women and The Politics of Feminism.
Feb 03 11:30 am
Report to the Community on the Houston/Harris County Domestic Violence Providers Study
January 2023 IRWGS Report on the Houston Domestic Violence Collaborative Study. The report gives an overview of the DV providers’ offerings in the post-pandemic world, identifies gaps in need and offers policy recommendations.
Feb 06 3:00 pm
El junte: Puerto Rican Poetry
The US Latino Digital Humanities Center invites you to a poetry reading and presentation of the Puerto Rican Literature Project/El Proyecto de literatura puertorriqueña. This digital archive documents the material existence and experiences of Puerto Rican poets in the archipelago and US diaspora from 1917 to the twenty-first century.
Feb 08 12:00 pm
Family, School, Protests, And Other Teenager Stuff: Examining the Lives Of Black Adolescent Activists
A conversation moderated by Edward Scott, Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Social Work. Sponsored by the Department of African American Studies.
Feb 09 3:00 pm
Valenti School of Communication Graduate Program Virtual Open House
The Jack J. Valenti School of Communication will be holding a virtual open house to share insights on our MA in Communication program and the application process on Thursday, February 9th, 2023, from 3:00-4:00PM CST.
Feb 11 9:00 am
Professional Development Workshop for Teachers of Spanish
Professional Development Workshop for Teachers of Spanish.
CLASS MEDIA MENTIONS
- The Wall Street Journal Elena Grigorenko, Ph.D., Hugh Roy and Lillie Cranz Cullen Distinguished Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology
- The Wall Street Journal Rodica Damian, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Inside Higher Ed Ryan Kennedy, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- India Education
Psychology Researcher At University Of Houston Awarded $1.5M From National Institute On Minority Health And Health DisparitiesAmanda Venta, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Houstonia Pamela Anne Quiroz, Ph.D., Center for Mexican American and Latino/a Studies
- Sci Tech Daily Colin Haile, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Houston Public Media Karen Fang, Ph.D., Department of English
- Houston Chronicle Karen Fang, Ph.D., Department of English
- UH News Pamela Anne Quiroz, Ph.D., UH CMALS Director and Professor of Sociology
1836 Project’s Pamphlet to Promote a ‘Patriotic’ Version of Texas History Airbrushes Oppression and Poverty, Experts SayRaúl A. Ramos, Ph.D., Department of History
- Defender Network Aswad Walker, Ph.D., Department of African American Studies
- ABC 13 Nicolás Kanellos, Ph.D., Brown Foundation Professor of Hispanic Studies, Director of Arte Público Press
- Houston Chronicle Jeronimo Cortina, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- Vox Media Jeronimo Cortina, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- Houston Chronicle Nicolás Kanellos, Ph.D., Brown Foundation Professor of Hispanic Studies, Director of Arte Público Press
- Austin American-Statesman Gabriela Baeza Ventura, Ph.D., Department of Hispanic Studies
- The Texas Tribune Jennifer Hayes Clark, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- The Texas Tribune Jeronimo Cortina, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- Houston Chronicle Brandon Rottinghaus, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- FOX 26 Houston Trevor Buffone, Ph.D., Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies
Charli and Dixie D’Amelio Turned TikTok Fame Into a Billionaire-Backed Personal Brand That Hinges on Their Personal LivesTrevor Buffone, Ph.D., Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies
- Inside Research Allison Archer, Ph.D., Department of Political Science and Jack J. Valenti School of Communication
Facts & Figures
- 2,000Course Offerings
- 688Faculty Members
- 70+Degree Offerings
- 14Academic Departments