The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) is the heart of the University, dedicated to spurring intellectual curiosity, creativity, and transformative education. Encompassing humanities, social sciences, and health sciences, CLASS is truly a mosaic of disciplines that broaden perspectives, inspire potential, and advance possibilities yet unimagined.
Former CPH director, historian Monica Perales leaves a legacy
Lauren Till honored with President’s Excellence Award
UH researchers unpacking disparities in Black maternal health
CLASS announces inaugural faculty administrative interns
Prominent UH political scientist Francisco Cantú passes away at 40
CLASS awards $72K in 2023-24 college scholarships
Oct 02 6:00 pm
Beginnings And Endings in Palestine: A Year After The Killing Of Shireen Abu Akleh
Please join the Arab-American Educational Foundation Center for Arab Studies on Monday, October 2, for the 2023 AAEF Paul Kardoush Annual Memorial Lecture, “Beginning and Endings: Palestine and the Killing of Shireen Abu Akleh” featuring Jennifer Zacharia, JD, from 6-8 pm at the Waldorf Ballroom, Hilton University of Houston! Jennifer Jennifer Zacharia is a lawyer and writer. She holds a JD from Columbia Law School and an MIA from Columbia’s School of International and Public Affairs. A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, she has worked as a journalist and with various human and civil rights organizations. She is Shireen Abu Akleh’s first cousin.
Oct 16 3:30 pm
Book Talk: Far-Right Vanguard with a UH History Alumnus
Talk by UH History alumnus, Dr. John S. Huntington (Ph.D. 2016), on his recent book, Far-Right Vanguard: The Radical Roots of Modern Conservatism (UPenn, 2021).
Oct 16 5:00 pm
Valenti Student Showcase and Awards
The Valenti Student Showcase and Awards will take place at URBE Houston on October 16, 2023, from 5-8 P.M. This event is a celebration of the accomplishments of Valenti students, faculty, and staff. Enjoy a curated showcase of student work, wonderful food, and network with industry leaders in the field of Communication.
Oct 26 6:00 pm
Night at the Printing Museum
The Department of History along with the Printing Museum invites one and all to a Night at the Museum on October 26, 6-8 pm. Come walk through time and visit places across the globe as our resident UH historians discuss the history and artifacts onsite from Ancient times to today in a pop-up gallery tour at 7 pm.
Oct 28 10:30 am
Jazz Jam Brunch
Don’t miss the department of African American Studies’ melodious fundraiser at the DeLuxe Theater on Oct. 28 at 10:30 a.m. The Jazz Jam Brunch will feature a soulful musical journey and delightful eats while helping support academic empowerment. RSVP with a $100+ donation to a chosen AAS scholarship by Oct 16 to secure your tickets to this enriching event.
Nov 09 4:00 pm
Ecologies of Empire in South Asia, 1400- 1900
India Studies Program in collaboration with AEF Foundation Center for Arab Studies presents a book discussion on ECOLOGIES OF EMPIRE IN SOUTH ASIA, 1400- 1900, by Dr. Sumit Guha, Professor; Frances Higginbotham Nalle Centennial Professorship in History, University of Texas at Austin.
CLASS MEDIA MENTIONS
- UH News Department of Political Science
- American Kahani Department of Political Science
- UH News Jeremy Miciak, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Paper City Magazine Xavia Karner, Ph.D., Chair, Department of Sociology
- The Jerusalem Post Brandon Rottinghaus, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- UH News Brandon Rottinghaus, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- UH News Richard Armstrong, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Self Samantha Kwan, Ph.D., Department of Sociology
- USA Today Samantha Kwan, Ph.D., Department of Sociology
- Houston Chronicle Olivia Atherton, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- The Washington Post Matt Gallagher, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Nikkei Asia Karen Fang, Ph.D., Department of English
- Houston Public Media Demetrius Pearson, Ph.D., Department of African American Studies
- Houston Chronicle Elizabeth Gregory, Ph.D., Director of Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies and CLASS Institute for Research on Women, Gender & Sexuality
- Houston Public Media Elizabeth Gregory, Ph.D., Director of Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies and CLASS Institute for Research on Women, Gender & Sexuality
- ABC 13 Elizabeth Gregory, Ph.D., Director of Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies and CLASS Institute for Research on Women, Gender & Sexuality
- The Wall Street Journal Elena Grigorenko, Ph.D., Hugh Roy and Lillie Cranz Cullen Distinguished Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology
- The Wall Street Journal Rodica Damian, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
Facts & Figures
- 2,000Course Offerings
- 688Faculty Members
- 70+Degree Offerings
- 14Academic Departments