Skip to main content

UH Veteran Services

  • Group Photo of Student Veterans of America at Nat Con 2016

    UH Student Veterans of America Recognized as Best Chapter

  • Group Photo of SVA at Frontier Fiesta

    Student Veterans of America Members at Frontier Fiesta

  • Student Veterans of America at 2016 Banquet

    Student Veterans of America at Banquet Photo Booth

  • Anastasia Stone Receives Graduation Cord and Coin

    Fall Cording Ceremony for Graduating Veterans

The University of Houston is an approved training facility for veterans and a Military Friendly institution.  Depending on your specific need, two campus offices provide services to veterans. The two offices are Veteran Services (VS) and the Office of the University Registrar. Together, we coordinate the University's veteran services to the more than 1,600 veterans, spouses, and dependents attending classes and receiving veterans benefits.



New student-veterans, the quickest and most efficient way to apply for the educational benefit is to complete the GI Bill application online. However, you may download a copy or pick one up at the VS office located in the Student Center North, Suite 202. Develop a degree plan with an academic advisor in the Academic Advising Center (first or second-year students) or in the College that services your major (students with completed core curriculum). Complete the Request for Enrollment Certification and Academic Advisor Verification forms. If you apply online, after receiving your Certificate of Eligibility letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, submit the letter, forms, degree plan, and your DD-214 to the veterans section of the Office of the University Registrar. If you do not apply online, take your completed application, Request for Enrollment form, Advisor Verification form, degree plan, and DD-214 to the Office of the University Registrar. VS does not accept, process, or certify applications. To prevent disruption in enrollment pending Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition payment, veterans may enter into an Emergency Deferment Plan (90 days).


Complete the Request for Enrollment Certification and Academic Advisor Verification forms each semester to recertify. Submit your paperwork to the veterans section of the Office of the University Registrar after the bill for the semester in which you need to be certified appears on your PeopleSoft account.  The certifying officials cannot process your claim before then.  Finalize your class schedule before submitting forms. Adjustments after submission delay disbursement of tuition, fees, and BAH.

Veterans transfer to UH from universities and community colleges across the U.S. UH has a Transfer Advising Program with transfer advisors ready to assist you.

Join the student organization, Student Veterans of American (SVA), and become part of a community of “vets helping vets.” Your role is critical in fulfilling the mission of both SVA and UH, a Carnegie-Designated Tier One Public Research University.  Work, study, and play together in an unforgettable college experience! GO COOGS!


The policy of the University of Houston (UH) is to ensure equal opportunity in all its educational programs and activities, and all terms and conditions of employment without regard to age, race, color, disability, religion, national origin, veteran's status, genetic information, or sex (including pregnancy), except where such a distinction is required by law.  Additionally, UH prohibits discrimination in all aspects of employment and educational programs on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.  Employees, students, and visitors to campus with questions and/or complaints regarding discrimination, or sexual misconduct (such as sexual violence) under Title IX may contact Dr. Richard Anthony Baker, Title IX Coordinator and Assistant VC/VP for Equal Opportunity Services (EOS) or the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. Dr. Baker serves as the Title IX Coordinator as well as the ADA and Section 504 Coordinator for UH and can be contacted at:

Dr. Richard Anthony Baker
4367 Wheeler St
Houston, TX 77204