Dr. Monit Cheung, 張錦芳博士, MA, MSW, PhD, LCSW, is Professor at the Graduate College of Social Work, University of Houston. She is Principal Investigator of the Child Welfare Education Project, a state partnership program funded federally by Title IV-E for training child welfare social workers, and Associate Director of the Child and Family Center for Innovative Research. She has been a social worker for 35 years and a Licensed Clinical Social Worker for over 20 years specializing in play therapy, family counseling, child & adolescent counseling, child protection, sexual and domestic violence, and incest survivor treatment.
Dr. Cheung has been a faculty trainer in charge of the Child Protection Train-the-Trainers Program, a volunteer clinician by providing counseling and case consultation at the Asian American Family Services, and a consultant trainer for the Hong Kong Social Welfare Department and the Hong Kong Police Force. Using an experiential and practice-oriented approach in teaching, she has taught at the graduate level for 25 years. She has presented 233 papers in workshops, webinars, and conferences, and written 422 articles, books, book chapters and research reports on child protection and parenting issues in English and Chinese.
Dr. Cheung currently serves on the Diocesan Review Board for the Protection of Children and Young People at the Diocese of Galveston-Houston, Advisory Board Member of Catholic Charities and Asian American Family Services, and the Board of End Child Sexual Abuse Foundation in Hong Kong. She is also a researcher on “Treating the whole person through integrating acupuncture and acupressure techniques in healthcare.”
Fellow in Geriatrics, University of Iowa, 1988
Ph.D. in Social Work, The Ohio State University, 1986
Doctoral Work in Economics, Louisiana State University, 1983-84
M.S.W., Social Work, The Ohio State University, 1982
M.A., Public Administration, The Ohio State University, 1982
Diploma with Distinction in Sociology (Minor in Psychology), Hong Kong Baptist College, 1979
Licenses and Certfications:
LCSW- Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Lead Faculty, Certification of the Child Protection Train-the-Trainers Program
Areas of Specialization:
- Clinical practice with children and adolescents
- Family therapy and transtheoretical practice
- Teaching in higher education (Doctoral)
- Travel seminars with a focus on international social work
- Human development
- Single system research
Dr. Cheung's research interests include the assessment and treatment in areas of child sexual abuse, elderly Chinese immigrants and their service needs, immigrant adjustment, child protective service training and evaluation, creative family therapy and therapeutic touch.
- 2012 CSWE-Women Council Mentor Award
- 2010 Hall of Fame from the Ohio State University
- 2010 Outstanding Faculty Award
- 2009 Best Reviewer Award from the Council on Social Work Education
- Research Associate at the Center for Public Policy
- 2006-2009 Honorary Professorship, University of Hong Kong
- 2006 Favorite Faculty Award
- 2005 Unsung Hero Award from Channel 39 KHWB-TV
- 2004 Golden Harvest Award from the Asian American Family Counseling Center
- 2002 YWCA Outstanding Woman Award in Education
- 2001 Ervan Chew Award for Community Leadership from the Girl Scout Council
- 2000 Outstanding Faculty Award
- 1999-2001 Honorary Research Fellowship with the School of Social & Administrative Studies at Cardiff University, UK.