University Commencement Ceremony - RESCHEDULED DATE
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Spring 2019 – May 13, 2019
Date: Monday, May 13
Time: 6–8:30 p.m.
Location: Fertitta Center, 3422 Cullen Blvd
The University Commencement Ceremony for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics will include all Spring 2019 bachelor’s, master’s and Ph.D. degree candidates from the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Families and friends are encouraged to attend. Tickets are not required for guests attending Commencement.
Fertitta Center, Clear Bag Policy
Fertitta Center enforces a clear bag policy to ensure safety for guests. Items such as backpacks, purses and diaper bags are not permitted, and guests are strongly encouraged to not bring any bags to the facility.
The following items will be allowed inside Fertitta Center events:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 12 inches x 6 inches x 12 inches
- 1-gallon clear plastic freezer bag (Ziploc or similar)
- A small clutch purse no larger than 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches, with or without a handle or strap (These small clutches remain subject to search)
Information for Graduation Candidates
At University Commencement for NSM, all graduation candidates will be individually recognized and will walk across the platform when their names are called.
Cap and Gown
Graduation candidates will wear regalia (cap and gown) at Commencement. Beginning April 15, regalia can be purchased or rented at the UH bookstore.
Arrival Time University Commencement for NSM – Graduation Candidates
Students must arrive at 4:30 p.m. at the UH Athletics/Alumni Center on Cullen Blvd. Students will need to follow the guidelines provided in the Fertitta Center clear bag policy. Do not bring extra items with you; there will be no storage area for your possessions.
Only Graduation Candidates will be allowed in the Athletics/Alumni Center for line up.
You will receive a “walk” card with your name on it and any pronunciation guide you provided. NSM staff will direct the flow of the graduates throughout the ceremony. Follow their instructions.
A professional photographer will take your picture as you shake hands with the Dean and after you have crossed the stage.
Information for Guests
Arrival Time University Commencement for NSM – Guests
Doors to Fertitta Center (Holman St Entrance) will open at 5 p.m., one hour prior to the start of Commencement. Holman is the only entrance that will be used. Guests will need to follow the guidelines provided in the clear bag policy of Fertitta Center. Metal detectors will also be in use. Balloons and horns are NOT allowed in Fertitta Center.
Tickets are not required for admission to Commencement. However, seating is first come, first served.
Parking – Students and Guests
There is no charge for parking on campus. Students and guests should review the attached map for parking options. Areas for guest and student parking are clearly marked.
Students or Guests with Special Needs
Please contact Tristan Sims at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than two weeks prior to Commencement to plan how we can best accommodate your needs on this exciting day.
Guests with Mobility Needs
- Special seating is available, but limited. Please plan to arrive early.
- For guests with mobility impairments, the doors will open at 4:30 p.m., 30 minutes earlier than the scheduled time, so you can be comfortably seated.
- In order to accommodate as many mobility-impaired guests as possible, there will be a strict limit of one guest accompanying the mobility-impaired guest in the reserved seating area. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause your group.