The University of Houston is a collegial enterprise that uses the principles and practices of shared governance to operate. The Standing Committees of the college provide a venue for faculty to administer the curriculum of the college and advise the dean on the affairs of the college. The Standing Committees of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics consist of the following:
- Committee on College Government
- Committee on Graduate Studies
- Committee on Undergraduate Studies
- Policy Committee
Each committee performs the prescribed duties and such other duties as normally devolve upon the academic committee bearing its title. Terms of office of all committees commence on September 1 of the year in which the member is elected. Each committee annually selects a chair from its elected members.
Information on the Standing Committees is contained in the NSM College Bylaws.
Committee on College Government
The Committee on College Government consists of one tenured faculty member from each department and has the following duties:
- Consider and make recommendations to the faculty regarding both departmental and college government.
- Conduct elections for the college.
- Designate faculty members to fill faculty vacancies on standing committees.
- Conduct polls of departments for nominations for the chair.
- Review departmental bylaws.
- Review and recommend on non-trivial grievances of faculty members, including all non-voting faculty.
Faculty Development Leave Program
|Masaya Fujita||Biology and Biochemistryfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jehan-François Pâris||Computer Scienceemail@example.com|
|Michael Murphy||Earth and Atmospheric Sciencesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Committee on Graduate Studies
The Committee on Graduate Studies consists of one tenured or tenure-track faculty member from each department and one graduate student member. The Graduate Studies Committee may have one at-large research faculty member that holds the rank of research associate professor or above. This committee will:
- Consider and make recommendations regarding all changes of graduate curriculum or degree requirements.
- Determine the procedures by which graduate curricula within the college are developed and evaluated.
- Advise the dean regarding graduate programs.
- Review and recommend on non-trivial grievances of graduate students.
- Determine the procedures by which standards for student admissions, grading and candidacy for graduate study are set.
- Recommend nominees for vacant positions on the Graduate and Professional Studies Council to the dean.
|Ricardo Azevedo||Biology and Biochemistryemail@example.com|
|Zhigang Deng||Computer Sciencefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Thomas Lapen||Earth and Atmospheric Sciencesemail@example.com|
Committee on Undergraduate Studies
The Committee on Undergraduate Studies consists of one tenured, tenure-track or instructional faculty member from each department in the college and one undergraduate student member. This committee will:
- Consider and make recommendations regarding all changes of undergraduate curriculum or degree requirements.
- Determine the procedures by which undergraduate curricula within the college are developed and evaluated.
- Deal with general questions of policy concerning the training of teachers in the college.
- Review and recommend on non-trivial grievances of undergraduate students.
- Determine the procedures by which standards for student admissions and grading for undergraduate study are set.
- Recommend nominees for vacant positions on the Undergraduate Council to the dean.
|Richard Knapp||Biology and Biochemistryfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nouhad Rizk||Computer Scienceemail@example.com|
|Shuhab Khan||Earth and Atmospheric Sciencesfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Earth and Atmospheric Sciencesemail@example.com|
The Policy Committee consists of one tenured faculty member holding the rank of professor from each department in the college. This committee will:
- Advise the dean concerning promotion of, awarding of tenure to , post-tenure review, and termination of faculty members.
- Advise the dean concerning questions that arise relating to promotion and termination of research faculty.
- Advise the dean concerning questions that arise relating to promotion and termination of instructional faculty.
- Determine performance criteria used to perform tasks listed above.
- Advise the dean concerning the planning, budget and administration of the college.
Standards for Reappointment, Promotion and Tenure
|Stuart Dryer||Biology and Biochemistryfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ioannis Pavlidis||Computer Scienceemail@example.com|
|Paul Mann||Earth and Atmospheric Sciencesfirstname.lastname@example.org|