University of Stavanger (UiS) is located in Stavanger, Norway. Students from several majors are eligible to study at at University of Stavanger as a Reciprocal Educational Exchange Program (REEP) student.
Geology students: A summer option at the University Center in Svaalbard (UNiS) may be available and could count toward your Field Camp experience. For more information on UNiS, click here.
Please note: This exchange opportunity is best for Geology or Petroleum Engineering students, however there are classes in a limited number of other subject areas that are taught in English, such as
- Business Administration
- Hotel and Tourism
- Computer Science
- Mechanical and Civil Engineering
- Social Work
About University of Stavanger:
The University of Stavanger was established in 2005 and has over 10,000 students. It is located in Stavanger, Norway, which is on the Southwest coast of Norway- a drive of about 7.5 hours Southwest of Oslo. The University of Stavanger is comprised of three Faculties (the equivalent of Colleges): Faculty of Arts and Education, Faculty of Social Sciences, and Faculty of Science and Technology.
About Stavanger, Norway:
Stavanger, Norway was established in 1125, making it nearly 900 years old! Evidence of settlement in the area dates back to 10,000 years ago, however active settlement wasn't prominent until the 800s CE. It is the fourth-largest metropolitan area in Norway, after Oslo, Bergen, after Trondheim. Like Houston, Stavanger's economy relies heavily on oil. The climate in Stavanger is colder than in Houston, but not as cold as you might think. Average summer high temperatures are in the mid-60s while average lows for winter are in the 30s.
Map of Norway:
- Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Must have completed 12 UH credit hours
- Must have at least one semester remaining at UH upon return from abroad
How to Apply:
- Meet with a Learning Abroad Advisor to learn about the program
- Review the courses taught at University of Stavanger, pay attention to the terms!
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor to determine course equivalencies
- Complete the UH required forms found on the the Learning Abroad Timeline.
- Complete an application to University of Stavanger AFTER receving approval from both your college and Learning Abroad.
- Students who apply directly to Stavanger without notifying Learning Abroad of their interest will not be considered.
- Academic Year: Apply though UH by May 1
- Spring only: Apply through UH by October 14
Selected Applicants Agree To:
- Complete and submit the required paperwork to the UH Learning Abroad office as outlined in the Learning Abroad Timeline.
- Comply with all requirements, deadlines, and procedures of Learning Abroad.
- University of Houston tuition and fees
- UH Learning Abroad Exchange fee: $75
- Airfare to Stavanger: approximately $1300 as of September 2016
- Housing costs are not included in tuition
- Passport: With Passport for Coogs, you are able to apply for a passport in the Learning Abroad office by appointment between 8am-1pm, Monday-Friday. Passport fees ($110) are reimbursed to current UH students.
- Local Transportation Costs: Varies
- Academic materials/textbooks, as required by your syllabi in Stavanger: Varies
- Meals: Varies
- Personal Expenses and Incidentals: Varies
Personal preferences affect the total cost of your program. Participants should plan for the trip and budget appropriately.