Master of Public Administration (M.P.A.)
The new MPA program will be accepting applications for the Fall 2009 semester. The new program website is available now, which details the new curriculum and admissions aspects of the program. Please contact Dr. Yuasa, Graduate Coordinator for the MPA Program, if you are interested in applying or want to know more about the new MPA program.
University of Houston
447 Philip G. Hoffman Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3011
Master of Arts (M.A.)
Candidates for the M.A. may elect either a thesis option, which requires 30 hours of graduate course work plus a thesis, or a non-thesis option, which requires 33 graduate hours and a bibliographic essay. M.A. students also must take 9 credits in a particular area of study (American Politics, Comparative Politics, Political Analysis, Political Theory, or another area approved by the Graduate Director). The M.A. program usually takes two years to complete.
- MA Degree Plan I (Word file, 8K size)
- MA Degree Plan II (Word file, 8K size)
- Normal Progress Toward the MA degree (pdf file, 13K size)
The Ph.D. requires a minimum of 48 hours of course work, including M.A. work; written comprehensive examination in two subfields and the successful defense of a dissertation. The doctoral degree usually takes an additional two years beyond the M.A., although some complete the M.A. and Ph.D. within four years.
- PhD Degree Plan (pdf file, 8K size)
- PhD Degree Plan Fall 2017 and Beyond (pdf file, 134K size)
- Normal Progress PhD (pdf file, 21K size)
- Normal Progress PhD Fall 2017 and Beyond (pdf file, 124K size)
Comprehensive Exam Information