Application & Audition Procedures (BM, MM, DMA)
All applicants must apply to the Moores School of Music and the University of Houston.
- Bachelor of Music (Composition Major)
- Master of Music (Composition Major)
- Doctor of Musical Arts (Composition Major)
- Teaching Assistantships
Bachelor of Music (Composition Major)
All undergraduate composition applicants are required to audition on an applied instrument or voice and interview with the composition faculty. It is strongly encouraged that applicants take the theory placement exam that is offered on all audition days.
In addition, students should submit a portfolio with their application that contains:
- Scores and/or recordings of up to three representative original compositions
- A list of all compositions to date (include instrumentation, durations and dates)
Students with no prior experience composing, but who have been studying music performance on an instrument or voice, may still apply. For more information, please contact the composition coordinator, Dr. Rob Smith. Applications, deadlines, and audition days/requirements may be found at: www.uh.edu/cota/music/
All graduate composition applicants should submit a portfolio with their application that contains:
- Three representative scores and corresponding recordings of original compositions that utilize contrasting instrumentation. The inclusion of live recordings is strongly encouraged for MM applicants and required for DMA applicants
- A list of all compositions (please include instrumentation, durations, dates and performances)
- A program from an undergraduate or masters composition recital (if applicable)
Selected applicants will be invited to campus for an interview with the composition faculty and will be notified about their interview approximately one week after the application deadline, or sooner if their application is submitted earlier. If a campus interview is not possible arrangements may be made to interview via video conferencing or phone, although a campus interview is preferred.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply for a teaching assistantship, in which case a campus audition/interview is required. TA applicants must also take the theory placement exam that is offered on all audition days.
For more information, please contact the composition coordinator, Dr. Rob Smith. Applications, deadlines, and audition requirements may be found at:
Scholarships are available for students at all levels of study who demonstrate outstanding promise in music composition. All applicants are automatically considered for music scholarship unless their application is received after deadlines.
Numerous classroom-teaching positions are available for freshman, sophomore and non-major music theory classes. All TA recipients receive a stipend and a scholarship of at least $1,000. For out-of-state students, scholarship awards will activate in-state tuition rates. The University of Houston tuition rate is one of the lowest in the nation. Auditions/Interviews for these positions are held on all audition days and must be done on campus. Applicants for these positions must also take the theory placement exam that is offered on all audition days.