Email: slee3 [at] uh [dot] edu
Office: 471 Philip G. Hoffman Hall
Ph.D. Northwestern University
M.A. Trinity International University
M.A. Regent University
B.A. Oral Roberts University
Shayne Lee received his Ph.D. in Sociology from Northwestern University in 2002. Dr. Lee has quickly emerged as a noted interpreter of contemporary American religion and culture, appearing as guest expert on CNN, ABC, and Fox, while also providing commentary in the New York Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Atlantic, Huffington Post, U.S.A. Today, CNN.com, Christian Science Monitor, and numerous other periodicals.
Dr. Lee is the author of four books. His first book: T.D. Jakes: America’s New Preacher, analyzes the rise of a prominent African American spiritual leader as a microcosm of cultural changes in contemporary American religion. His second book: Holy Mavericks: Evangelical Innovators and the Spiritual Marketplace, co-authored with historian Phillip Sinitiere, uses theory of religious economy to add complexity and nuance to our understanding of spiritual appeal and the postmodern cultural turn in American Protestantism. Lee’s third book: Erotic Revolutionaries: Black Women, Sexuality, and Popular Culture, navigates the uncharted spaces where social constructionism, third-wave feminism, and black popular culture collide. His fourth book, Tyler Perry’s America: Inside His Films, offers a comprehensive exploration of the sociocultural relevance of Tyler Perry’s movies. Professor Lee’s current book manuscript is called Dark Shadows: Cinema, Black Suffering, and Evil, and his next book project is a sociological study on Ingmar Bergman’s films.
- Cinema Studies
- Gender and Sexuality
- Sociology of Science
- Cinema, Sex, and Sanctimony
- Malcolm Gladwell’s Sociology
- Racial and Ethnic Relations in the U.S.
- Sociology of Culture
- Sexuality and Society
- Sociological Theory
- Shayne Lee. 2015. Tyler Perry's America: Inside His Films. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Shayne Lee. 2010. Erotic Revolutionaries: Black Women, Sexuality and Popular Culture. Lanham, MD: Hamilton.
- Shayne Lee and Phillip Sinitiere. 2009. Holy Mavericks: Evangelical Innovators and the Spiritual Marketplace. New York and London: New York University Press.
- Shayne Lee. 2005. T.D. Jakes: America’s New Preacher. New York and London:
New York University Press.
- Aldon Morris and Shayne Lee. 2005. “The National Baptist Convention: Tradition and
the Challenges of Modernity.” In Church, Identity, and Change: Theology and
Denominational Structures in Unsettled Times. New York: Eerdmans.
- Shayne Lee. 2004. “The Structure of a Spiritual Revolution: Black Baptists
and Women in Ministry.” Journal of Contemporary Ethnography33(2):154-177.
- Shayne Lee. 2003. “The Church of Faith and Freedom: African American
Baptists and Social Change.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 42:31-42.
- Kobe's right: The Dream Team would lose
- How Don Cornelius became the 'pope of soul'
- MLK, born at just the right time
- Opinion: Perry needs Palin (and vice versa)
- Opinion: Why black church culture rejects homosexuality
- Oprah Winfrey: The greatest existential philosopher ever?
- Joel Osteen takes on his critics