Department of Sociology
450 Philip Hoffman Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3012
Phone: (713) 743-3940
Fax: (713) 743-3943
Maria A. Monserud
Ph.D., Sociology, Washington State University
M.A., Sociology, University of Northern Iowa
B.A., Philology, Saint Petersburg State University
Maria A. Monserud received her Ph.D. in Sociology from Washington State University in 2008. Before coming to the University of Houston, Professor Monserud was a postdoctoral scholar in the Sealy Center on Aging at the University of Texas Medical Branch. She also completed a postdoctoral position in the Carolina Population Center at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill.
Professor Monserud’s research interests lie in the areas of family inequality, health disparities, minority aging, and gender. In particular, she examines how various social factors intersect to shape individuals’ outcomes over the life course. To date, Professor Monserud’s research activities have encompassed three main areas: 1) continuities and discontinuities in intergenerational relationships in the family over time; 2) diversity in family structures and youth’s well-being; and 3) family context, social support, gender, and health outcomes among older Mexicans in the U.S. and Mexico.
- Health Disparities
- Health and Aging
- Family Inequality
- Racial/Ethnic Families
- Social Demography
- Quantitative Methodology
- Introduction to the Sociology of Health Care
- Comparative Family Structures
- Population Analysis
- Introduction to Social Statistics
- Johnson, Monica K. and Monserud, Maria. 2012. “Work Value Development from Adolescence to Adulthood.” Advances in Life Course Research 17(2): 45-58.
- Monserud, Maria A. and Elder, Glen H., Jr. 2011. “Household Structure and Children’s Educational Attainment: A Perspective on Coresidence with Grandparents.” Journal of Marriage and Family 73(5): 981-1000.
- Monserud, Maria A. 2011. “Changes in Grandchildren’s Adult Role Statuses and their Relationships with Grandparents.” Journal of Family Issues 32(4): 425-451.
- Monserud, Maria A. 2010. “Continuity and Change in Grandchildren’s Closeness to Grandparents: Consequences of Changing Intergenerational Ties.” Marriage and Family Review 46(5): 366-388.
- Monserud, Maria A. 2010. “Role Markers of Adulthood and Young Adults’ Ties to Grandparents.” Journal of Intergenerational Relationships 8(1): 38-53.
- Johnson, Monica K. and Monserud, Maria A. 2010. “Judgments about Work and the Features of Young Adults’ Jobs.” Work and Occupations 37(2): 194-224.
- Johnson, Monica K. and Monserud, Maria A. 2009. “Values and Related beliefs”. Pp. 384-391 in Handbook of Youth and Young Adulthood: New Perspectives and Agenda, edited Andy Furlong. New York: Routledge.
- Monserud, Maria A. 2008. “Intergenerational Relationships and Affectual Solidarity between Grandparents and Young Adults.” Journal of Marriage and Family 70(1): 182-195.
- Mack, Kristin Y., Leiber, Michael J., Featherstone, Richard A., and Monserud Maria A. 2007. “Reassessing the Family-Delinquency Association: Do Family Type, Family Processes, and Economic Factors Make a Difference?” Journal of Criminal Justice 35(1): 51-67.
- American Sociological Association (ASA)
- Population Association of America
- Gerontological Society of America