Department of Sociology
450 Philip Hoffman Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3012
Phone: (713) 743-3940
Fax: (713) 743-3943
Office: 493 Philip G. Hoffman Hall
Ph.D., Texas A&M University
J.D., University of Texas
B.A., Southwestern University
Amanda K. Baumle is an Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Houston. She received her J.D. from the University of Texas at Austin and her Ph.D. from Texas A&M University. Her research and teaching are focused in the areas of demography and the sociology of law, with a focus on issues involving gender and sexual orientation. She employs both quantitative and qualitative methodologies in her research.
Dr. Baumle has authored and edited books, articles, and book chapters examining issues of inequality and discrimination, as well as the manner in which the law might be activated as a means to challenge existing inequalities. In particular, she has published articles in journals such as Social Forces, Social Science Research, and Social Science Quarterly, which examine demographic outcomes based on sexual orientation. She is the author of Sex Discrimination and Law Firm Culture on the Internet: Lawyers at the 'Information Age Water Cooler' (Palgrave Macmillan 2009), which examines attorneys' use of legal discourse in an Internet community as a vehicle for challenging gender discrimination. Dr. Baumle is also the coauthor of Same-Sex Partners: The Demography of Sexual Orientation (SUNY 2009), which draws on 2000 U.S. Census data to examine the manner in which sexual orientation affects a variety of demographic processes. She recently completed editing the first handbook on the demography of sexuality, the International Handbook of the Demography of Sexuality (Springer Press 2013), which includes more than 20 chapters examining sexual behavior, identity, desires, and the manner in which traditional demographic outcomes are affected by these factors.
Dr. Baumle’s current work includes a book project (coauthored with D’Lane R. Compton) which examines the legal consciousness of same-sex parents, including the manner in which the law affects the decision to become a parent, the method of becoming a parent, and everyday parenting decisions for same-sex parents (forthcoming 2014, NYU Press). The project involves the analysis of Census Bureau data and interviews with approximately 130 LGBTQ parents nationwide in order to examine the role of varying legal contexts on parenting outcomes.
- Demography of Sexuality
- Sociology of Law
- Quantitative and Qualitative Methods
- Introduction to Sociology
- Gender and Society
- Sexuality and Society
- Introduction to Social Statistics
- Graduate Seminar in Sociology of Law
- Graduate Seminar in Sociology of Sexuality
- Graduate Seminar in Sociological Theory
- Graduate Seminar in Population Studies
- Baumle, Amanda K. and D’Lane R. Compton. Legislating Gay and Lesbian Families: How the Law Affects Parenthood Decisions for Same-Sex Couples. New York, NY: NYU Press, forthcoming 2014.
- Baumle, Amanda K. and D’Lane R. Compton. “Identity Versus Identification: How LGBTQ Parents Identify their Children on Census Surveys.” Journal of Marriage and Family, forthcoming 2013.
- Baumle, Amanda K. “Same-Sex Cohabiting Elders versus Different-Sex Cohabiting and Married Elders: Effects of Relationship Status and Sex of Partner on Economic and Health Outcomes.” Social Science Research, forthcoming.
- Baumle, Amanda K., Editor. 2013. International Handbook on the Demography of Sexuality. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer Press.
- D’Lane R. Compton and Baumle, Amanda K. 2012. “Beyond The Castro: The Role of Demographics in the Selection of Gay and Lesbian Enclaves.” Journal of Homosexuality 59(10): 1327-1356.
- Baumle, Amanda K. and Dudley L. Poston. 2011. “The Economic Cost of Being Homosexual: A Multilevel Analysis.” Social Forces 89: 1005-1031.
- Baumle, Amanda K. and D’Lane R. Compton. 2011. “Legislating the Family: The Effect of State Family Laws on the Presence of Children in Same-Sex Households.” Law & Policy 33: 82-115.
- Poston, Dudley L. and Amanda K. Baumle. 2010. “Patterns of Asexuality in the United States.” Demographic Research 23: 509-530.
- Baumle, Amanda K. 2010. “Border Identities: Intersections of Ethnicity and Sexual Orientation in the U.S.-Mexico Borderland.” Social Science Research 39: 231-245.
- Baumle, Amanda K. 2009. “The Cost of Parenthood: Unraveling the Effects of Sexual Orientation and Gender on Income.” Social Science Quarterly 90: 983-1002.
- Baumle, Amanda K., D’Lane Compton, and Dudley L. Poston, Jr. 2009. Same-Sex Partners: The Social Demography of Sexual Orientation. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press.
- Baumle, Amanda K. 2009. Sex Discrimination and Law Firm Culture on the Internet: Lawyers at the ‘Information Age Water Cooler’. New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan.
- American Sociological Association
- Law and Society Association
- Southwestern Social Science Association
- State Bar of Texas