The University of Houston is an open campus filled with people who care about each other. Because of its open accessibility, all students, faculty and staff are encouraged to exercise a sense of personal responsibility for their own safety and well-being, and the safety and well-being of others. While crime can happen anywhere, when we act as a community that knows and cares about the safety of others, ourselves and our property, we lessen the likelihood of being victimized, and we showcase our Cougar Pride. 

Throughout the year, we'll highlight safety and prevention tips related to an array of campus issues. This month, we want to share with you information on contacts for help. For other safety and crime prevention information, see additonal tips.

Contacts for help and how to report an incident

Who can I contact for help?

You can always call 911 if you need immediate assistance, but here are additional contacts if you need help:

  • If you want to reach a UHDPS police officer directly, contact 713-743-3333 or locate an emergency call box on campus.
  • If you smell gas, find a fire hazard or see a fire, contact the Fire Marshal’s Office at 713-743-1635.
  • If you’re not feeling well, contact the UH Health Center at 713-743-5151.
  • If you feel you need psychological services, contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 713-743-5454.
  • If you locked your keys in your car, need directions or you're having car trouble, contact Parking Enforcement at 713-743-5849.

How can I report an incident on campus?

  • You can call UHDPS at 713-743-3333.
  • If you would like to remain anonymous when reporting an incident on campus, you can always do so by visiting or by calling the hotline at 1-800-716-9007.

Helpful Phone Numbers:

UHDPS    713-743-3333
Fire Marshal 713-743-1635
UH Health Center   713-743-5151
CAPS   713-743-5454
Parking Enforcement 713-743-5849
My Safe Campus  1-800-716-9007