University Information Technology (UIT) periodically reviews CougarNet and UH Central Web Server accounts for active use and access by current faculty, staff, sponsored persons, and students. Student accounts are assessed twice a year and accounts are disabled based on status with the University of Houston Main campus. Faculty and Staff are not eligible to keep their accounts or their UH Alias. Account practices associated with Faculty and Staff can be further explained with the new SAM 07.A.07 policy.
Note on email aliases (@uh.edu): Email aliases are not always involved in the account disable process. Any student who has completed at least one class from the University of Houston Main campus is entitled to keep their alias as long as they maintain the alias with a valid destination address. Faculty, staff, and sponsored persons are not eligible to keep their alias, unless they also have taken at least one class from the University.
UH email aliases and destination addresses
A user is considered inactive if they are no longer affiliated with the University of Houston.
- Faculty: Faculty members are not eligible to keep their account resources after ending their teaching assignment. Faculty members who need to continue to conduct university business after their account is disabled, should contact their department Business Office Administrator. Please see information on sponsored accounts. Faculty emeritus should write to firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve their account resources from being disabled.
- Staff: Staff members are not eligible to keep their account resources upon separation from the University. Staff accounts are disabled effective immediately on the specified Termination Date within the PeopleSoft system. Please contact the IT Support Center at 713-743-1411 to inform of recently changed jobs or a leave of absence.
- Sponsored Persons: Sponsored persons will have an expiration date associated with the use of their account resources. Sponsored account resources are disabled effective immediately on the specified Termination Date within the PeopleSoft system. All sponsored persons must go through an ePerson of Interest process to acquire account resources.
- Graduate students: Students who graduate are eligible to keep their account for one year in accordance with your status in PeopleSoft system. If there is no enrollment for classes within the one year, their accounts will be disabled.
- Undergraduate students: If you are not registered for classes for three (3) consecutive semesters--including the current semester--your account will be disabled.
- Department/Organization/Student organization: If the owner of a departmental/organization/student organization account is no longer affiliated with UH, a new owner must be named with the Change of Ownership (PDF) form. All Student Organization related forms must be approved by the Center for Student Involvement Office.