Software Download & Installation Notes
To download the latest version (v6r3) or a previous version of the TSM client, go to:
From this link, you can select the appropriate folder (version), and further select your OS, 32- or 64-bit version, language, etc. When prompted, do not run the download from the link. Instead, save it to the computer.
- The current (old) server names, their addresses, and port numbers are:
- ADSM - adsm.uh.edu (port 1500)
- UHTSM - uhtsm.e.uh.edu (port 1555)
- TSM-ENT - tsm-ent.edu (port 1531)
- The new server name, its address, and port number is:
- GOBI - uhbackup.e.uh.edu (port 1500)
- The clock on the client machine should be configured with the correct time and located in the correct time zone for the backup process to work properly.
- TSM is a flat file backup system. Meaning, users that have databases other than Microsoft Access or Filemaker Pro MUST export their data out to a flat file before TSM can backup that data. Without an export, TSM will only be able to backup the outer casing of the database file and not its actual data contents. TSM is not designed to backup databases without a special connect agent or a data export procedure.
- Macintosh Systems
If you are migrating from TSM 5.4 or 5.3, stop the "Client Acceptor Daemon" with the "Tools for TSM Administrators" program. Remove the folder "Tivoli Storage Manager" from the APPLICATION folder. Delete any files starting with the string "TsmBa" located in the "/Library/Receipts" folder. Delete dsm.opt, dsm.sys and TSM.PWD files located along the path "/Library/Preferences/Tivoli Storage Manager". Reboot the computer then install the new client.
- UNIX Systems
Before starting the TSM scheduler, you should start the tsm backup client to be prompted for your node's password. The tsm scheduler uses this node password as well. To start the TSM Scheduler for automatic backups:
From root and from within the TSM install directory:
- nohup dsmc schedule 2>/dev/null &
- tsm::once:/usr/bin/dsmc schedule >/dev/null 2>&1 # TSM Scheduler
- get TSMxxxx_SOLARIS.tar.Z (for SOLARIS)
- get IPxxxxx.tar (for SGI )
- get IPxxxxx.tar (for TRU64 UNIX)
- get TSMxxxx_Linux86.tar (for Linux86)
- mget TIVsm-BA.ppc64.rpm and TIVsm-API.ppc64.rpm (for LinuxPPC)
- get TSMxxxx.tivoli.tsm.client.ba.32bit and TSMxxxx.tivoli.tsm.client.api.32bit (for AIX)
- Windows Systems
To upgrade from TSM 5.x, first remove the old TSM client. Uninstall the TSM Scheduler from the "Setup Wizard" under the UTILITIES menu and re-install the TSM scheduler from the version downloaded. Upgrading may require a reboot.
Client Installation Notes
- Accept the default location for the client installation.
- Select the language for the installation.
- You may be prompted to install a MS Visual C++ service Pack. Let it install.
- Accept the default Destination Folder.
- Select Typical Setup Type (default).
- Go into your Start Menu. From the Tivoli Storage Manager folder, select Backup-Archive GUI.
- Create a new Options File.
- Use the Node Name we have provided you.
- You may be prompted to let the TSM backup software through your machine's firewall. Let it.
- Use TCP/IP Communications (default).
- Use the server and port number we have provided you.
- Use the default Recommended Include/Exclude List (click Next).
- Use the default Common File Exclusion Selection (click Next).
- Accept the defaults for the Domain for Backup (Incremental; Backup all local file systems; Entries as they appear in the Domain List).
Client Configuration Notes
- From the Tivoli Storage Manger GUI, go to Utilities > Setup Wizard. Select Help me configure the TSM Client Scheduler.
- Select Install a new or additional scheduler.
- Accept the default scheduler name; make sure the CAD option is unchecked (default).
- Accept the default Option File Name and Location.
- Use the Node Name and Passowrd we have provided you; make sure the Contact the TSM Server to validate password is checked.
- Sevice Login Options need to be set to The System account and Automatically when Windows boots.
- Accept the Log file names and locations.
- Click Yes for the start option.