The University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Founded in 1946, the University of Houston College of Pharmacy combines the opportunities and experiences of the Texas Medical Center’s world-class healthcare community with resources of the University of Houston, Texas’ premier urban teaching and research university, to offer its students the best possible education.
The UH College of Pharmacy aspires to foster a commitment to lifelong learning and an environment where students develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills consistent with the high standards of their profession and/or scientific field. Our college is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education and holds membership in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
The College offers the following professional and graduate degree programs:
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) professional degree,
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics or Pharmacology/Medicinal Chemistry, and
The college also offers post-doctoral research fellowships and clinical/research, community and pharmacy administration residency programs in collaboration with institutions in the TMC and Greater Houston area, including the two-year Concurrent M.S./PGY1-PGY2 Residency Program in Pharmacy Leadership and Administration.
The College of Pharmacy has two campuses: Science & Research Building 2 on the main University of Houston campus and our Texas Medical Center campus, where students have access to the Texas Medical Center Library and collaborations with TMC institutions.
Our diverse faculty includes recipients of U.S. and international patents, prestigious National Institutes of Health grants and awards for teaching and mentorship/leadership. The College includes more than 50 full-time faculty members, 500-plus preceptors who provide training for students on pharmacy practice experiences, and many healthcare professionals from the community and researchers from across the nation who serve as volunteer/adjunct faculty.
Our students have distinguished themselves in research, patient care and service competitions as well as in leadership positions of international, national, regional and state professional and scientific organizations.
Recent National & State Accolades
- 2015 SNPhA National Chapter of the Year Award
- 2015 NASPA-NMA Texas Self-Care Championship (TPA)
- 2015 Phi Lambda Sigma National Chapter of the Year
- 2015 First Place, TSHP Clinical Skills Competition (P2 and P3 divisions)
- 2015 First Place, TSHP Disease State Management Competition
- 2015 TSHP Leo F. Godley and Ann Godley Residency Fellowship Award
- 2014 TPA Student Advocacy Award
- 2014 ASHP Student Leadership Award
- 2014 TSHP Clinical Skills Competition (P2 and P4 divisions)
- 2014 Leo F. Godley and Ann Godley Residency Fellowship Award
- 2014 Fellow for Life, Houston-Galveston Schweitzer Fellowship
- 2014 Top 3 Finalist (Large Category), Rite Aid/SNPhA Chapter Excellence Award
- 2014 First Runner-up, SNPhA Interprofessional Health Fair Competition
- 2013 AACP Student-Engaged Community Service Award
- 2013 Top 3 "Large" Chapters & 4th in Nation Overall, Rite Aid/SNPhA Chapter Excellence Award
- 2013 Finalist, J.B. Hills SNPhA President of the Year
- 2013 & 2014, First Runner-up, NCPA Chapter of the Year
- 2013 Member Recruitment Award, National Kappa Epsilon Professional Pharmacy Fraternity
- 2013 NASPA-NMA Self-Care Championship (TPA), Top Finalist
Our alumni are leaders in a multitude of practice, research, academic and business activities and settings, including healthcare organizations, independent pharmacies and commercial enterprises, research institutions, higher education and government/regulatory agencies.
Recent National & State Accolades
- 2014 APhA/NASPA Texas Bowl of Hygeia Award
- 2014 TPA Pharmacist of the Year Award
- 2014 TPA Robert L. Hays Outstanding Consultant Pharmacist Award
- 2014 American College of Clinical Pharmacology Distinguished Investigator Award
- 2013 Willard B. Simmons NCPA Independent Pharmacist of the Year
- 2013 TPA Pharmacist of the Year & 2013 TPA PharmPAC Member of the Year
- 2014 SCCM Dr. Joseph and Rae Brown Award
- 2014 & 2013 TSHP Fellows
The University of Houston College of Pharmacy’s Doctor of Pharmacy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, 20 North Clark Street, Suite 2500, Chicago, IL 60602-5109, 312-664-3575; FAX 312-664-4652, web site: www.acpe-accredit.org.