Using Fax Server
The following topics are covered on this page:
Your account is ready as soon as you receive a Welcome email/fax message from us. We assume that you know how to use Outlook/Exchange.
- First, open the Welcome email message. You'll find your new fax number in this message. Write your fax number down or commit it to memory.
- Next, open the Welcome fax message. The Welcome fax message will come from "UHFax".
- You'll find a TIFF file attachment with the message. This TIFF file has the actual fax contained in it.
- Double-click on the TIFF file and your computer will launch a fax viewer application to read and display the TIFF file for you. You can read the fax and save it to a folder of your choosing, or just close the application when you have finished reading it. In Outlook/Exchange, your email/fax message will stay in the Inbox even if you do not save it.
- If nothing happens or you get an error message, it may be that you do not have a fax viewer installed on your computer or you may have the viewer installed, but your file associations are not set-up properly. For MS-Windows computers, we recommend using Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer software for viewing faxes. Usually, Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer come as the default on Windows XP, but with Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer has been replaced with Windows Photo Viewer. If you do not have a copy, please ask your local support person to install and configure this software for you.
Here is an example of the Windows XP Fax Viewer window:
Here is an example of the Windows Vista and Windows 7 Photo Viewer window:
Faxes always come as a TIFF attachment to an email message. If you can open and read your fax properly, you are ready for the next phase - sending a fax.
If you are unable to open and read your fax, call the IT Support Center at 713-743-1411.
Sending a Fax
Now, we will conduct an experiment to see if you can send a fax. In this experiment, you'll send a fax to yourself using your new fax account.
- In your mail program, select New from the File menu followed by Mail Message. This will open a blank email window.
- In the "To:" field of the email window, write [FAX:YourName@YourFaxNumber]. You must use the square brackets without spaces. For example, [FAX:JSmith@31111].
- Type the subject in the "Subject" field and your message in the body of the mail window.
- When done, click Send and the fax will be sent.
- You will receive a Fax Sent notification email message, telling you when and how the fax was sent. If the fax could not be sent, a Failure notification will be sent along with the reason for the failure. There is always a Fax Server JobID number associated with every submitted or received fax. This number can be used to trace problems with a fax.
- If the fax was transmitted successfully, you will receive the fax in your Inbox (since the fax was sent to yourself). You can examine the fax to see what it would look like if it was sent to someone else.
Fax Server allows you to send faxes in a number of ways, using different file formats for attachments. To find out more about sending and receiving faxes, visit the FAQ page. If you are experiencing problems using the Fax Server, call the IT Support Center at 713-743-1411.